First Hops Harvest...Or Lack There Of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20120925173256822.jpg

Always hate the first post being an ask for help, but alas Me, My Friend, and his Father have been brewing for a over a year. Due to my friends fathers green thumb (or so we thought!!!!!) we decided to try and grow our own hops. From this picture you can see we got something going on, when viewing in real life the spots look more rusty instead of flat brown. Any Ideas?

They dried on the vine, you'll want to pick them a few weeks earlier next year. At least you got a head start on next year! My 2nd years really took off this year

Thanks guys,
Do you think they are still good to use?
They smell like hops, I guess I'm worried about the brown leaves giving off some weird flavor.

They are good....smell them....if you pick them and they fall apart, they are too old....the ones in the pic look useable.

Of the 5 varieties I have, one in particular (Golding) looked exactly like this. The others did just fine. The brown edges showed up early and suddenly. Since all plants received the same treatment, I am leaning toward the 100+ temps we had this past summer and this variety's intolerance to heat. I scrapped the Golding harvest.

Back