Decisions, decisions...help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milsman2

Reaction score
I currently have a raspberry amber in the primary and it has been there already for a week. I have yet to add the raspberry purée and I also have a chocolate stout in my only other carboy that is coming up on three weeks. Should I just go ahead and add gelatin and raspberry purée in the primary and have minimal splashing or bottle the stout and rack the amber onto purée in a secondary and risk oxidation? I have no way to carbon dioxide purge.

Is there any harm in adding to primary? I'm kind of impatient and ideally I could let the stout age a while in the primary it is in more. If I add the puree will it disrupt any of the fermentation by taking precedence of the alcohol tolerance of the yeast?

i rarely secondary, but when adding fruit, i always do. i'd bottle the stout and let it bottle-condition, and secondary/fruit the amber

How late do you think I can age it in the secondary? My only thing is the raspberry will be ready soon and I don't have enough bottles to bottle both so I'd rather have the stout sitting around.

There's no harm in adding the fruit to primary; you'll just have one big layer of trub instead of two smaller ones. The amber won't really be ready to bottle for at least a week after you add the berries, so I'd go ahead and bottle the stout now anyway. It'll still age in the bottle, just not as quickly as in secondary. Unless its 8% alcohol or tastes harsh in some way, it probably desn't really need extended aging anyway.

Back