One beer, 1 lb pound of cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing an AIPA with the following grain bill (10 gal):

18 lb 2 row
4 lb munch
2 lb C40

I'll be adding 10 oz of hops during the boil, with two /2/ ounce dry hoppings. Northern Brewer is selling 1 lb of cascade for only $12.99, so I figure why not?

Does this seem like a good idea and grain bill to fit?

Thanks!

ps. I'll be pitching it onto some WLP0029 Kolsch/German Ale I have washed from a previous batch.

With that much munich, I'd tame back the crystal a touch, but that's not a huge issue.

You don't mention your specific schedule, but I've done all cascade beers before that have turned out well. Presumably, a lot of those hops are going to come in very late (unless you're going for something puckeringly bitter).

Unconventional yeast choice, but I bet it would be nice. That strain gets fruity, but that could compliment the cascade well.

The hop schedule is more important to the flavor than quantity. Personally, I would throw a couple oz of some high alpha hop like warrior in at the beginning, then use the pound of cascades 15 minutes to flameout and dryhop.

1lb of cascade for a 10 gallon apa will be plenty of hop and will be awesome, in my experience.

I make an american amber that uses 12 oz cascade /10 gallons and it's very good.

I've seen somewhere that O'dell's IPA uses German Ale yeast. Should turn out nicely.

And this:

Personally, I would throw a couple oz of some high alpha hop like warrior in at the beginning, then use the pound of cascades 15 minutes to flameout and dryhop.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I appreciate them... at least I know I have a shot at making something good here. :)

My grain bill will look like this:

16 lb 2 row
4 lb munich
2 lb c 40
1 lb Carahell (someone said it was a nice alternative to carapils which I put in almost everything for head retention)

now I'm debating adding 2 lbs of quaker oats to it as well. I know it does add haze but I added oats to the last IPA I made and although hazy, it really improved the mouthfeel. However, I am pretty unfamiliar with Munich and Carahell and I might not need it.

As far as the hop schedule goes, I was fiddling around with beersmith and I came up with

2 oz @ 60
2 oz @ 30
2 oz @ 15
2 oz @ 5
2 oz @ flameout
+ 2 oz dry hop for 7 days

I am on a different computer now, but I believe it was like 45 IBUs or something, which is good for me. I want it hoppy, but nothing which "tastebud shredding" could be attributed to.

How does that hop schedule sound?

You know there are 16 ounces in a pound right? Just thought I'd make sure since it seems like you want to use them all.

dale1038 said:
You know there are 16 ounces in a pound right? Just thought I'd make sure since it seems like you want to use them all.

I would add a couple extra oz to dryhop (I usually use 2.5-3 oz per 5g batch)

lol.... for some reason I only figured in on 12 oz, yeah I know there's 16 oz in a pound. 2 more to dry hop, then maybe... 2 more at 15?

Back