OG too low, can I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roscoe

Reaction score
Was shooting for an OG of 1.057, it came in at 1.041 @ 80F. This is a porter, I realize my mistakes, too much starting water, chose wrong setup on software or something. Ran out of propane with 7mins left on 60 min boil and ended up with 6.5gals of wort, rather than the 5gals I was supposed to be at. So I cooled, split into two fermenters (3.25gals each) and pitched anyways last night. I will be flavoring them differently anyways.

Now I want add some boiled liquid pale malt extract to try to doctor it up. I figured on 1.5 gal water, 5 lbs of extract, 30min. boil with .25 bittering hops. The software says the final 8 gals would give me my OG of 1.057 and correct bitterness.

I am more concerned about whether it is ok to add some wort to the primary to try to correct or bump up the low OG and if 5lbs extract seems like it would correct the problem I ended up with. Anyone with a simple answer to this?

I think it would work, but that's just supposition, not experience. The risk, I suppose, is that you introduce some oxygen at this point, mid-fermentation.

Your other option is to let it be, make a session porter. Interesting experiment. I just made a Mild, intentionally a session beer, with an OG of 1.036.

Cheers!

Back