Degassing. Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phished880

Reaction score
I've been reading some about degassing, so I've decided to make an attachment for my drill with a coat hanger. My questions are......

1. Do I bend the hanger at all? If so how much?
2. What speed should I degas at?

Is there anything else I should know about this?

Thanks

I've been reading some about degassing, so I've decided to make an attachment for my drill with a coat hanger. My questions are......

1. Do I bend the hanger at all? If so how much?
2. What speed should I degas at?

Is there anything else I should know about this?

Thanks

I use a wine degasser, with little "wings" at the bottom that open when it's turned. But I also have seen "wine whips". You could google that to see how the curve is.

Start very slow at first, as you don't want a volcano to shoot up out of the carboy and into the drill, thereby electrocuting you.

After the volcano slows, you can speed up. I don't do it steady (it might burn out my drill) so I do it a few seconds, and when the whirlpool slows and the bubbles die down, I do it some more.

Coat hangers will rust. You can use a plastic hanger with some of the hooked end left on.

However, degassing wands are cheap and last a long time. Easy return on your investment.

Coat hangers will rust. You can use a plastic hanger with some of the hooked end left on.

However, degassing wands are cheap and last a long time. Easy return on your investment.

I think it was Jack Keller who said he used a plastic rod from blinds, you know the kind that you turn to open and close the blinds? He said he heated one end and hammered it flat to make a paddle end. That would work, but I don't know if it'd be food-safe!

I made one out of a piece of poly tubing like you'd use for a ice maker hook up on the freezer. Bent the end using some heat to form an angle and the attached the other end to a spade drill bit. HOWEVER if you are going to be making more than one wine kit in the future, just go buy the right tool as it will work better in the long run. My device worked but being imbalanced made it harder to control. Don't do the metal hanger especially if you are using a fermenter/carboy that is plastic!

I use a wine degasser, with little "wings" at the bottom that open when it's turned. But I also have seen "wine whips". You could google that to see how the curve is.

Start very slow at first, as you don't want a volcano to shoot up out of the carboy and into the drill, thereby electrocuting you.

After the volcano slows, you can speed up. I don't do it steady (it might burn out my drill) so I do it a few seconds, and when the whirlpool slows and the bubbles die down, I do it some more.

Here ya go:

images.jpg

Back