irish lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've seen, there's no such animal... Would be like Irish sour kraut... :eek:

You could try making a lager with Irish influences... Or try an Irish ale with lager yeast... No idea how that would actually come out those... If you want to use ale yeast in a lager recipe, then it's not a lager anymore...

the difference between lager and ale is the yeast and the temperature it ferments. you can try using lager yeast at higher temps or ale yeast at lower temps but not sure how that is gonna turn out.

Nottingham is a ale yeast; so you would actually be making an Irish Ale. If you are trying to make what the kit is intended to make, then I would stick with the instructions.
If you wanted to change the fermentation from a ale to a lager you will need to get a new packet of yeast and then follow the kits instructions prior to pitching.

i really new at this ... iam using a irish lager malt extract and nottingham yeast and 2quarts of corn syrup and is this my second batch

i was trying to make american style beer 1st batch i used a american light ale extract .went to purchase it again and they were out so i was suggested to try this irish lager extract w/ more corn syrup to try to get close to that

i really new at this ... iam using a irish lager malt extract and nottingham yeast and 2quarts of corn syrup and is this my second batch

Never ever heard of "irish lager malt extract" before now... Typically, extracts don't care what you'll be putting them into... Unless is something like a mr. beer set... Also 2 QUARTS of corn syrup is a LOT... Maybe not in a 10 gallon batch, if you're using plenty of other ingredients, but way too much (IMO) for a 5 gallon batch.

Post up a link to where you got the kit, and/or the actual (full) recipe...

Ok, quick crash course:
As mentioned before, the only thing the determines if the beer is an Ale or Lager is the yeast that is used during fermentation. Ale yeast generally ferments at 59 F to 72 F degrees; Lager around 49 F to 60 F degrees, but some strains can go up to 70 F.
From my understanding, there is no such thing as "lager malt extract"; all extract is just extract. You would use different types depending on the style of beer: light for lagers or pale ales, amber malt for amber ales or vienna lagers, or dark malt for porters and stouts.

i was trying to make american style beer 1st batch i used a american light ale extract .went to purchase it again and they were out so i was suggested to try this irish lager extract w/ more corn syrup to try to get close to that

WHERE are you shopping?? I would seriously consider shopping someplace else that has better knowledge...

I have never used corn syrup before so I cannot accurately give advice on that subject. That being said, I don't know how using an Irish lager extract will turn into an American Light Ale by using corn syrup. The only thing that is going to happen is increase the fermentable sugars in the wort and drive up the ABV%.
Golddiggie brings up a good point about this home brew store. Is it an actually home brew store or do they just sell kits and some equipment? Could you send us a link or some more information about this kit that up purchased?

thanks for the help

day 14 og .040 took sp and its at.020 temp 64 f

Wow... A whopping 2.7% ABV brew... You trying to make something like bud lite?

Of course, I'm assuming you meant that the OG was 1.040, with a SG of 1.020 after 2 weeks... There are plenty of times when extract brews stop at 1.020 no matter what you do...

I would still like to know where you're shopping and getting the advice like you are... Getting bad advise and using sub-par kits usually contribute to people giving up on home brewing...

Mountmellick-Light-Lager-Beer-Kit-4-Can-P643.aspx

Mountmellick Light Lager Beer Kit - 4# Can

That's NOT an "Irish" lager extract can...

I wouldn't use lager extract in an ale recipe... At least not as the only malt going in... I also wouldn't use 4# of corn syrup in a batch... If you already have it going, there's no way to know if it's going to be any good or just nasty... Probably somewhere between the two, but my inclinations is more on the nasty side...

Did you use ANY specialty grains in the batch? What hops did you use? DO post the full recipe would you?? Taking a dozen posts to give us snippets of info isn't helping us help you...

so 1.020 is ok to bottle

POST THE FULL RECIPE!!!

You need to confirm it's reached a final gravity BEFORE you bottle it... X days doesn't matter, it's when the SG is identical at least a few days apart. Until then, don't bottle it...

I would also taste this before putting it into bottles... If you don't think it's a really good/great brew, then give it more time on the yeast. If it goes a few weeks without improving, and you're not likely to drink it, then it's probably a batch destined for the drain...

I would advise going to a different LHBS though. Or just order kits from one of the large shops. At least there, you'll have better advice, and ingredients... Also, if you plan to make your own recipes, get software to help figure things out BEFORE you get the ingredients... I did that after just two brews, so that I'd KNOW what I was in for before I brewed...

Ok, kyoshidragon, unfortunately it is hard for me and Golddiggie to give you the adequate advice for this batch due several factors:

1) You describe a malt extract kit that should be an Irish ale, but you stated that it is an "Irish Lager" even though the kit has Nottingham yeast, which is an ale yeast.
2) You are added/purchased corn syrup to the Irish lager kit because you wanted it to be an American Light Ale
3) We did not know that you were even fermenting the beer until now.

Under the information you gave us, I can only imagine that you were given very little help when you purchased this extract kit. It seems that the OG is accurate to what an Irish Ale should be, but your final gravity should be under 1.020, in my opinion.

Answer me this: For your OG to be around 1.040, I need to assume that you did not use the corn syrup or you used the corn syrup as a substitute for the extract in the kit. Did you do one or the other?

Gold, Mountmellick Light Lager Beer Kit is an all-in-one can kit. It is pre-hopped and everything; I just found a site that also recommends using corn sugar in addition to this can: http://www.winemakersdepot.com/Mountmellick-Light-Lager-Beer-Kit-4-Can-P643.aspx

Man, I just threw up a little in my mouth... :drunk:

I'm about done trying to help on this one... I think the OG would have been higher than 1.040 with the 4# of corn syrup (closer to 1.058 by Beer Smith's figures, for a 5 gallon batch)...

Personally, I wouldn't even think about using pre-hopped extract... Even when I was using extract kits, I went with those from the LHBS that included hops, LME/DME and specialty grains. Got solid brews from those, and the confidence to progress onto all grain quickly (my 4th batch was a mostly mash, #5 was my first all grain)...

I could see how total noobs would use something like that, since it SEEMS like it will give good brew... But I don't see it as holding a candle to what you can make with unhopped extract (DME or LME), specialty grains, and hops that you put in yourself...

remember i only have brewed 2 batches and waiting on third

Irrelevant...

As I posted, my first three batches were extract recipes, from the LHBS with DME/LME, specialty grains, hops, etc... I also read the Complete Joy of HomeBrewing book before I started... I've since picked up additional books, but that at least gave me a solid foundation to work from. If you've not read even that book, get it and read it before you start another batch...

I would also get away from the ultra-simplified kits and at least step up to ones with specialty grains, hop additions and such... Otherwise, you'll never really get a really good/great batch... It will be ok, and drinkable (hopefully) but nothing that will impress people (IMO)...

I brought some of my Irish red ale and old ale to a family dinner the other weekend... Even my sister, who hatest heavy/dark beers liked my old ale (it's smooth, a little dark in color, but has great flavors)... You won't be able to produce something like that with the pre-hopped kits... My Irish red was also well liked, and even my English IPA/pale ale was well liked. This is from people that generally only like to drink things like SA Light...

Ok. From what I have gathered, you have made this Mountmelick Lager thinking that it was an Irish Lager. First things first, it is not an Irish lager, it is just a "Light Lager" made by an Irish company. Since this is a lager, you probably want to ferment this beer between 50 F to 59 F. Fermenting lagers at higher temperatures will result in poor fermentation and bad beer.
There is probably a good chance there is still some fermentable sugars in the wort since you barely got under 1.020. Since the kit only cost $15 to $20, I would just toss the whole batch and start over. I don't see the reason to risk having overly carbonated beer and/or bottle bombs.

dude this a begginers forum isnt it

Yeah, but we also assume you have some brains and know how to use them... Plus, read the stickies and such... Oh, and have at least read one GOOD home brewing book (or at the very least own one you're reading)...

Using crap kits will get you poor brews... The old saying of "Quality in, quality out. Crap in, crap out." holds very true in home brewing... I've yet to see any product self-marketed as being ok, average, or poor quality, even if it's the truth... They'll always claim it's great... No matter what the reality is... Any LHBS that would advise someone to start with pre-hopped kits should be avoided in my books. Unless, that is, you have difficulty getting water to boil, or couldn't cook your way out of a wet paper sack.

I've been cooking (real cooking, not just heating things up) for over 30 years... I also enjoy quality ingredients, both in what I cook and as a result... I don't have any issue taking all day to make just one dish either...

Kyoshi, I want to help you make better beer.
Please do the following:
1. Go to this website and either buy the book, How to Brew, and/or read everything in this website: http://howtobrew.com/. The information here will help you understand the basics of brewing beer.
2. Spend an extra few bucks and buy an extract kit from a reputable vendor online. If you are looking to make an American style lager like Budweiser or Coors, you should buy this kit: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/american-lager-extract-kit-2.html
You will need to make some extra steps using this kit, but you will get all of the necessary ingredients to make great beer.
3. If you want it to be easy and just make beer you can drink, I would recommend a Coopers or Muntons kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/american-style-light-beer-hopped-malt-extract.html This is a beginners kit and reputable.
4. When you post questions on this forum you need to tell us EVERY! Any details helps us make sure we give good advice.

Back