Nutty Brown Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm at work right now and want to go to the beer store after work and pick up my Nut Brown ingredients. Won't have a lot of time so I can't go home to my BeerSmith to convert this recipe to All Grain so I was hoping somebody could help me out.

So, here it is!

6 lbs. amber malt extract
1 lb. British pale malt
1/2 lb. Special B malt
1 lb. medium crystal malt
2/3 oz. Target or Northdown hops (bittering)
1/2 oz. Fuggles or Willamettes hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Fuggles or Willamettes hops (finishing)
1 pkg. Burton water salts
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (for priming)
1 pkg. Windsor ale yeast (or Wyeast #1098, #1968 or White Labs British or Burton Ale Yeast)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
O.G. - 1.047 F.G. - 1.012

Thanks guys! And Cheers!

Depending on your efficiency, it should be around:
10lb British Pale
1.5lb medium crystal
0.5lb special B

I'm not really a fan of special b, so I'd drop it entirely, or at least reduce it by half. I do really like chocolate malt in nut browns, though - it's where the 'nuttiness' really comes from. 1/4 to 1/2lb is about the right range.

If you have access to the Internet, take a look at hopville.com for your calculation needs. 10lbs of Maris otter ought to be in the right range to replace the extract

I'm not really a fan of special b, so I'd drop it entirely, or at least reduce it by half. I do really like chocolate malt in nut browns, though - it's where the 'nuttiness' really comes from. 1/4 to 1/2lb is about the right range.

Yeah, I'm right there with ya! I think I want to drop all the Special B and I definitely want to use chocolate malt. I'm trying to tweak this recipe and I'm not sure what I want to do exactly. But I'll be getting supplies today or tomorrow, so any suggestions would be cool!

with those changes, I think you have a pretty ideal nut brown actually:

~10lbs Maris otter
~1 - 2lb British C-75
~1/4 - 1/2lb Chocolate (450L)

30 IBU's of Target
1/2oz Fuggle or Stytians @ 10
1/2oz Fuggle @ KO (steep for 20 before chilling)

Mash @ 151, ferment w/1084, 1275, 1195, 1968 or Windsor

Back