Will a fish fryer work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am in walmart looking for a turkey fryer. All they have is a fish fryer setup. Stand, burner ,pot , regulator for 20 bucks. Will this get hot enough to boil a converted keg?

Last edited by a moderator:
Walmart has a fish fryer that does an advertised 54,000BTUs... but the pot looks to small to get a decent wort boiled up. Maybe using the burner and a pot might work.....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7983614

If that's the one you're looking at, my instinct is to say that the keggle will be too big, overhanging the burner. You could get around that by using concrete blocks to support the keggle, but I just bought a wider burner for $49.

For 20 bucks I am gonna grab one. Fill the keggle up with water and see if I can get a boil going. If it works I may toss in some crawfish and corn!!!

Ok talked to a lady I know who works here. She says she has the turkey fryer version of this. Says its exactly the same just a different pot.

Overhanging shouldn't really be a problem. Go to Lowes or HD and buy a Weber Charcoal grate - not the one you put the meat on, but the one in the kettle you put the charcoal on. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEKNMY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
The cooking grates are smaller wire size than the charcoal ones. I have a burner that works great for my keggle, but without the grate, would be one heck of a balancing act.....

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a square stand. I don't think balance will be an issue. I weigh 300 +pounds and sat on the display and wigged around also , so it will hold the weight also.

Of course, I got my round bayou cooker for $30 at an estate sale including the 10 gal stainless pot. I didn't really mind that it was round and a little too small for a keggle. :D

Dave

Back