Fifth extract batch - Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeansberg

Reaction score
Hi

This is the first recipe with multiple specialty malts for me. I'm shooting for something akin to Newcastle Brown Ale, but with more flavor and body. Basically I'm using a little bit of every kind of steeping grain I have in stock. The two hops are also the only British kinds I have. ABV for this recipe is 4.6 %.

Style: Northern English Brown Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10,00 L
Boil Size: 8,00 L
Estimated OG: 1,047 SG
Estimated Color: 18,2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20,2 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1,25 kg Light Dry Extract (8 ebc) (4,0 SRM) Dry Extract 78,1 %
0,15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60,0 SRM) Grain 9,4 %
0,10 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM) Grain 6,3 %
0,05 kg Carafa I (337,0 SRM) Grain 3,1 %
0,05 kg Roasted Barley (300,0 SRM) Grain 3,1 %
10,00 gm Brewer's Gold [7,50%] (60 min) Hops 15,9 IBU
8,50 gm Goldings, East Kent [4,80%] (15 min) Hops 4,3 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

The recipe is in the specifications for a Northern English Brown Ale, but I'd love to get some feedback and suggestions from more experienced brewers. :cross:

Looks good. Newcastle is unusual in that it is a blend of two Browns, so it can be a bit difficult to clone. I've never used Dextrine malt in a Brown, but it will give you a little more body.

Note: I've done enough work with metric measurements, so that isn't a problem. But using , for the decimal point always throws me off.

Thanks. I know it's not going to be a clone of Newcastle, but that's fine. Newcastle is a bit bland to me, anyway. :)

The Brewers Best English Brown Ale sounds like exactly what you need, it probably would be exactly like Newcaste if you made a 6 gallon batch out of the kit.

I think Yoopers Brown Ale is the same recipe.

Back