Oak chips in Pinot Grigio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbdist

Reaction score
Has anybody put oak chips in Pinot Grigio. I am making 3- 5 gallon carboys of pinot grigio and was thinking of putting oak chips in 1 of the carboys. This is my first time making wine. I am currently making 3- 5 gallons of merlot and 5 gallons of amarone as well as the pinot grigio. I jumped in head first. Any suggestion for the pinot?

Thanks,
Bryan

Well, you can certainly do whatever you'd like with your wine! That's the beauty of making your own. For me, I wouldn't oak pinot grigio. That is a light, crisp, dry, sometimes fruity wine, and oaking it might overpower it and also cause it to have to age too long. Generally, it's drunk as a young wine, and I think the oak would not be good in it.

If you want to try it, though, why not?

I'm currently soaking my pinot grigio in 2oz of toasted french oak chips. im only soaking it for about 10-15 days during secondary fermentation before I transfer it into my bottling bucket. I'll basically wait until all the oak oak chips fall to the bottom of the carboy then transfer it. I've done this before with pinot grigio, and i loved the taste. I believe I used american oak chips instead of french though. The good thing about home brewing is you can add what flavors you want, and experiment, and you might think something sounds gross or doesn't belong and at the end surprise yourself.

Back