A good yuck to be had by all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The story starts about 3 months ago when I decided to start kegging seriously. I found 7 kegs on CL that I managed to pick up very cheap. They all needed cleaned resealed and new poppits. three cornies and 4 firestones. after a stop by the LHBS I learned the difference and ordered the parts for the firestones. I never got around to doing anything to them except stripping and cleaning. well today was the day that my original three were in use so I prepared one as I had an IPA to transfer and dry hop. after sorting parts, sanitizing and assembling I placed the hop bag in and filled it. oh the heavenly smell of hi hopped beer. I placed it back in the keezer and hooked up the CO2. it leaked. I grabbed the star san and sprayed to locate the leak, main seal. OK, open it and replace the seal. hit it with CO2 again to find the relief leaking, I had put the wrong one in. fixed that. hit it with CO2 again and it still leaked(a lot) but the star san wasn't helping. I assumed it was leaking from the gas in and to verify swapped connectors and hit the liquid out with gas. as I did this beer flowed out of the liquid out down the keg and all over the inside of the keezer. just then I realized what a DEE DEE DEE I was. yep thats right I forgot to put the seals on the out side of the fittings. I installed the seals and filled it with CO2. then peeled of my t-shirt to clean up a little over a quart of beer from the keezer floor and under the three kegs in it. the down side is the lost beer:( The upside is now the house and my t-shirt have a wonderful hop aroma. I hope everyone gets a chuckle out of this. oh the taste from the hydrometer vial tells me that this will be an excellent beer if I can wait long enough.

If it makes you feel any better, I think that is the basic experience of most, if not all, brewers when they rebuild their first keg. Eventually you figure out it is smart to pressure test with an empty keg.

Latest posts

Back