colorpHast strips frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I've been using these strips for the past several beers, but for the life of me I cannot ever figure out which color it matches up against on the the legend. Every time it seems to be some different shade than the ones shown on the box.

At this point as long as it is green I feel like I'm OK, but it would be nice to be able to know for sure.

Anyone else have issues with these? Any one have any tips?

I had exactly the same experience, and being a long standing techno-dweeb I was totally dissatisfied with the vaguarity. My recommendation?
31myOoEprZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I went with the Hanna HI 98128 about a year ago, and have been happy with it so far. I've found it also highly useful to monitor our household water pH neutralizer system...

Cheers!

iaefebs said:
Kai did some tests of the colorphast strips with pictures that may help you. Start with post #9

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/big-colorphast-experiment-126033/

Thanks. I had seen this before and remember the 0.3 deviation of the strips, but hadn't thought to look back at it for the photos. Unfortunately, I had little problem matching the test strips shown in that post. I wonder if I have a bad batch. The shades of green I get really don't seem to match (but they're definitely in the olive range). I may experiment a little with them... I have access to pH meters at work and can make up solutions of various pHs.

Back