First Batch Brew Day - Pretty Happy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGeekGuy

Reaction score
Brewed my first beer in about 30 years yesterday, good times. A mini-mash 'Oktoberfest' (style) from True Brew, with possibly the worst instructions I had ever seen. Glad I did my homework and found the great resources and folks here at HBT, otherwise Lord knows how bad it could have turned out. But overall, I think things went well:

- Directions said to bring water to a boil, turn off, and soak grains for 20 minutes. Instead, I brought water to 160F, held temp and soaked for 30 minutes. Also said to only use 1 - 1.5 gals of water, that seemed really low so I went with 2.5 gals.

- Directions said to bring to boil for only 20-30 minutes? Ignored that and went with 60 minute boil. Could never get a strong 'foamover' type boil rolling, even straddling two burners on a gas stove. Did get a decent boil, though not as agressive as hoped. Turkey fryer now on shopping list.

- Directions said to add all 2oz of hops at same time as LME and DME, WTF? Added 1oz at 30 min and 1oz at 45min. Also added a Whirlfloc at 45min.

- The 50' SS chiller worked great, even though half of the coils weren't even in the wort. Used a 30gpm submersible pump sitting in an ice chest with about an inch of water and 15lbs of ice, took it down to 60F in 20 minutes.

- Hydrated the Muntons dry yeast in 1/3c water as directed.

- Added wort to primary, topped of with water to 5gal, and pitched yeast at 65F. OG measured about 1.046.

- Placed fermenter into a Cool Brewing bag with a 2L bottle of frozen water. Taped a thermocouple on the outside of the fermenting bucket, measured 68F this morning. Swapped out bottle for another fully frozen one, will see how well this works. A fermenting fridge is on the list for later, this seemed like a good way to get by until then.

- Will now try to wait patiently for three weeks without touching the fermenter. Then open, measure FG and keg this bad boy.

So other than ignoring 90% of the instructions, and instead relying on the good info learned here, is there anything I may have mucked up? Any advice for my next batch in a few weeks?

Some beers only have a bittering hop addition. It's really very common. Also, I've brewed with only a 30-minute boil but, I had a lot of hops going in every 10 minutes.

With that said, adding the hops at 60 and 45 will lower the IBU's just a bit and not make much of a difference otherwise.

A lot of people add Whirfloc with 15 minutes remaining. I'm pretty sure adding it early is inconsequential.

You should steep grains in less than 1/3 lb/qt. So, if you had 3 1/3 lbs of steeping grains, you were probably fine. That's a lot of grain to steep, though. You might have some astringency.

Nothing clearly that will make the beer bad...

Doing all the hops at once isn't wrong by any means, some recipes call for it...changing that up wont effect it too much though.
Also you dont need to rehydrate dry yeast typically...some manufacturers in fact say not too.

Some beers only have a bittering hop addition. It's really very common. Also, I've brewed with only a 30-minute boil but, I had a lot of hops going in every 10 minutes.

With that said, adding the hops at 60 and 45 will lower the IBU's just a bit and not make much of a difference otherwise.

A lot of people add Whirfloc with 15 minutes remaining. I'm pretty sure adding it early is inconsequential.

You should steep grains in less than 1/3 lb/qt. So, if you had 3 1/3 lbs of steeping grains, you were probably fine. That's a lot of grain to steep, though. You might have some astringency.

Maybe I'm expressing my timing incorrectly, I did a boil for a total of 60 minutes, added the first hops with 30 minutes left and the second hops (and Whirlfloc) with 15 minutes left. It just seemed odd to hop from the beginning of the boil for an Oktoberfest.

The kit only had 8 oz of steeping grains, did I screw the pooch by extracting them into 2.5 gallons of water?

Nothing clearly that will make the beer bad...

Doing all the hops at once isn't wrong by any means, some recipes call for it...changing that up wont effect it too much though.
Also you dont need to rehydrate dry yeast typically...some manufacturers in fact say not too.

I only rehydrated the yeast because the packet said to, a first for me. But quite a bit has changed/improved since my last batch. ;)

Looking forward to making a stir plate, parts currently en route from Amazon, and trying better yeasts and starters....

I'm glad you're able to get back into brewing after the long break. Good luck.

My son shamed me into it, I gave him all my old gear about a year ago and he's been making some excellent beer.

Having to buy new gear has exposed me to a lot of things that I didn't/couldn't do back in the day. Being a geek, I love the tech aspects (almost) as much as the beer. As I was buying new gear, I built a two tap kegerator that is currently pouring a 1/6bbl of Anchor Steam until my brews start to come in. I'm suffering through it.... :D

I am a newbie myself, 3 batches under my belt. I rehydrated the yeast on all 3, and will continue to do so unless specified not to by the manufacturer.
all 3 batches showed definite activity within 6 hours.

I am a newbie myself, 3 batches under my belt. I rehydrated the yeast on all 3, and will continue to do so unless specified not to by the manufacturer.
all 3 batches showed definite activity within 6 hours.

Yeah, but you're an idiot. :D Can I have your autograph?

For those of you that found that insulting, RDWHAHB....

Search his posts, and help him get a beer named in honor of idiots everywhere. :mug:

We now return you to my regularly scheduled thread....

Search his posts, and help him get a beer named in honor of idiots everywhere. :mug:

HAHA :rockin:

Pitch + 27 hours, came home to a happy bubbling airlock and 70F in my Cool Brewing bag. 78 in the house, looks like the bag is working as advertised without having to need a messy tub of water for a swamp cooler. Mmmm, good times....

Day 7: Popped the top to check FG. Looks fine visually, some random floaters on the surface but quite clear and amber. Pulled a sample with a Fermtech Thief, neat little tool and doesn't waste your sample when you're done. SG was 1.046, FG today was 1.015, unless I'm reading or calculating wrong that's only about 4% ABV. After putting most of the sample back in the bucket, I had a taste. Not bad at all, the bride thought so as well. From here, 2-3 more weeks and then keg. Though I'm halfway tempted to pull some now to fill a couple of bottles to finish and taste before the kegging.

Overall seems like everything is going along nicely. I did hope for a higher ABV, but the instructions listed expected OG and FG readings right in line with finishing at about 4% ABV. What might I do next time to 'kick it up a notch' or two with the same kit?

Let it sit like you said... You may not be at terminal gravity yet. 1.015 is still pretty high to finish on a 1.046 OG beer. I think it'll drop several more points, and letting it bulk condition will improve the flavor. Tough on your first brew, but patience will pay off.

Doc,
No question, it's staying in the fermenter. Just thinking about bottling a few ahead of kegging it to see any difference with priming sugar versus forced carb.

Don't know if the FG is going down further. The kit said 1.042 OG and 1.012 FG, other than shifting .003 my range is identical. Planning on checking in another week, if steady might bottle a few and let them age from there.

Sounds good! Wait till FG is stable before bottling so as not to make bottle bombs. You seem to have a good handle on this though. Welcome back!

Dag Gummit! Beer coming out of your nose burns! :drunk:

Yes it does! I would be very careful while reading the idiot thread he mentioned, your nose will appreciate it.

OK, this weekend will be 3 weeks in the primary. Haven't checked FG since the end of the first week, but would imagine it's stable. Plan on moving to keg this weekend, any tips? My first time kegging. Force carb? Slow carb? Partial bottling sugar and forced/slow carb? Decisions, decisions....

Sometimes the best laid plans go right to Hell. Didn't keg that weekend, and my job went Tactical Nuclear Penguin ever since. Working 12-14 hour days and weekends, stuck it in a mini freezer at 40F the following weekend and cold crashed it until today. Things are settling down at work, so took the day off and this was priority #1. Cleaned and sanitized my keg and siphoned in the beer. Left about a half gallon of trub and hops behind, will use a hop bag and strainer next time to maximize drinkable beer. Had a little uncarbonated taste, looks like it survived two months in the primary OK. Currently in the kegerator at 30psi to speed up carb, drop the pressure tomorrow night and take it out for a spin. :mug:

Fermenter and peripherals are all cleaned and sanitized, hopefully brew an IPA on Sunday.:ban:

Back