BG 10 Burner Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBiermann

Reaction score
Two steps forward, three steps back. I've upgraded my burners to the BG 10s and after getting them installed can only seem to get towering yellow flames out of them. They are hp burners and I have an adjustable 0-60psi regulator on my propane tank but adding more pressure just makes the sooty yellow flame shoot higher. I've taken apart the burner, ensured that they are clean and ground down the casting burrs under the screw on disc. Still no help. Any advice? would love to get this build producing beer sometime this year!

Cheers,

Josh

bg10.jpg

That does not look like good gas flow, check your lines, I had spider build a nest in mine and it plugged it up (same burner btw)

That picture has my adjustable propane reg barely enguaged, turning it up gives me a giant cone of flame and i was trying to keep my eyebrows when I took the pic. I was under the impression that yellow flame meant it was burning rich, i.e. too much gas too little air. I have the air shutters open all the way but to no avail. The burner takes a 3/8 npt thread which has a 1/4 id barb connecting it to the propane hose. Maybe narrowing the diameter will increase pressure and thereby pull more air with it from the shutter? So weird.

You need a burner orifice: http://bayouclassicdirect.com/High-Pressure-Brass-Orifice-5235

(Unless you mentioned you had one and I missed it.)

The orifice focuses the gas flow and pulls air into the burner via the venturi effect. Currently your gas is billowing out of the regulator uncontrolled and not mixing with air.

The fourth inch barb's bore is huge compared to an orifice.

Well I had the adjustable regulator turned most of the way down to start because i didnt want to sing my eyebrows off. The yellow flame means I have too much fuel to air. I called the people at bayou classic and they informed me that I need specific orfices even for the hp bg10. So im going to order them up and see if that fixes it

Well I had the adjustable regulator turned most of the way down to start because i didnt want to sing my eyebrows off. The yellow flame means I have too much fuel to air. I called the people at bayou classic and they informed me that I need specific orfices even for the hp bg10. So im going to order them up and see if that fixes it

I'm glad you figured it out - you can either get the stand alone flared orifice fitting, which would require you to assemble all of the connections. They also sell a regulator/orifice hose combo that you can use.

This was my first burner - I'm sure you'll love it one it's set up.

I called the banjo burner folks and they just told me which to order, some part number that I cant recall.

Back