My washed yeast accidentally froze!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
My old "beer" fridge is notorious for freezing whatever is on the top shelf from time to time. I had a brain fart and put a mason jar of washed yeast up there and sure enough, I noticed today that it is frozen.

I know you can use the glycerin mix, but I didnt. It froze in the "wart". Im guessing it is no longer viable, correct?

The yeast will suffer some damage, but you may well be able to revive quite a bit of it.
The key is to get the yeast to a warmer temp as soon as possible, minimizing the phase where ice crystals are literally 'stabbing' the yeast cell walls, which causes the damage.
Put the container in some warm (not hot!, 90F or so is fine) water to get everything thawed out, again, as quickly as possible, then re-introduce some fresh wort.
I think you'll be happily surprised.

The yeast will suffer some damage, but you may well be able to revive quite a bit of it.
The key is to get the yeast to a warmer temp as soon as possible, minimizing the phase where ice crystals are literally 'stabbing' the yeast cell walls, which causes the damage.
Put the container in some warm (not hot!, 90F or so is fine) water to get everything thawed out, again, as quickly as possible, then re-introduce some fresh wort.
I think you'll be happily surprised.

This.
Make a starter and then estimate density of fresh yeast. Most washed yeast have density between 1 and 2 (3) billions/ml.

Back