Chest freezer capacty for fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
Am looking to get a chest freezer to make a fermentation chamber. I can get the 8.8 cubic foot one linked below for free from a rewards program at work. Any one use this or have any idea how many fermentation buckets I could fit in it at a time? Since it looks like home depot carries it, I may just go there and measure out inside dimensions... But was hoping to save a trip.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/applia...defrost-chest-freezer-25014.html#.UCRNJmt5mSM

I bought the 8.8cf Kenmore from Sears on sale for $225. It holds 2-6.5 gallon buckets and a Mr. Beer full of Edwort's Apfelwein on the hump. Check your sales ads religiously, it was regularly priced at $388.

Just read your entire post (homebrew is awesome!). Refer to my capacities, mine is 17" wide by 35" long and 29" deep with a full width 11.5" wide by 10" tall hump

I bought the 8.8cf Kenmore from Sears on sale for $225. It holds 2-6.5 gallon buckets and a Mr. Beer full of Edwort's Apfelwein on the hump. Check your sales ads religiously, it was regularly priced at $388.

what type of buckets do you have...my buckets are ~14 inches in diameter..two of them cannot fit in a 8.8cf freezer

dahray02 said:
what type of buckets do you have...my buckets are ~14 inches in diameter..two of them cannot fit in a 8.8cf freezer

image-1359501189.jpg

One is a ale pale and the other if from Midwest supply. Different manufactures may have different inside dimensions, mine fit easily.

I use two of that same freezer, one for fermenting and one as a keezer. Since 4 cornies fit in the keezer I have been thinking about fermenting in cornies to be able to fit 4 into the fermentation chamber without having to put one on the shelf above the compressor.

To be sure, make some paper/cardboard footprints of your vessels. Don't forget that buckets have a lip that is wider than the footprint, so leave a bit of extra room. Then take your cutouts to Home Depot and check the fit.

Back