Geese as a "guard dog" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
We have been toying with the idea of building a chicken coup and having some hens for eggs. The neighbor up the street tried it, but something killed the hens.

Curious if any of you have geese as pets? Heard they make great "guard dogs" and will protect their territory. We have talked about a dog, but we travel a lot and dont have the time or energy to have a dog and provide all the stuff a dog needs. Wondering if a couple geese might be a good alternative?

Roosters can also be aggressive.

I got guinea fowl and they are pretty good about warding off predators plus they eat all the bugs you want eaten. I am growing wine grapes and wanted something to aid in natural bug killing.

I know canadian geese can be particularly aggressive when guarding their nests. I usually get attacked by a few of them when trout season starts up and they are nesting on the river.

Once seen one chase away a coyote too.

I hear that geese make a big, poopy mess. Glad you are considering the amount of attention a dog needs. Lots of people don't think that through.

Back