Dip tube on Blichmann Boilermaker not working correctly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlazaroff

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently purchased a Blichmann Boilermaker to replace my old kettle. I installed the brewmometer, filled it with water to check for leaks, and drained it. Once the water level fell below the valve, it didn't seem like the dip tube was picking up any more liquid.. at least not very much (if any at all). Its like it didn't create a syphon while draining. I pulled out the tube and reinserted it to no avail. Is there anything I am missing, or is it just slow going when the liquid level reaches this point?

Did you have a hose on the discharge side of the valve? You need to have the exit hose lower than the bottom of you pot in order to maintain a siphon action.

Did you have a hose on the discharge side of the valve? You need to have the exit hose lower than the bottom of you pot in order to maintain a siphon action.

That would explain it then, I didn't have a hose attached because I was just cleaning it with PBW and testing for leaks. Thanks for the reply, I can't believe I didn't think of that!

Back