quick and easy how to for making a champagne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
Does anyone have a few links on how to make a quick and easy champagne from a wine kit? I've got a Chardonnay that I'm going to mix up this weekend and I'd like to make a couple bottles of champagne out of some of it.

Making champagne is a rather complicated and drawn out process. If you just want carbonated wine, that's not difficult. All you do is add some priming sugar and bottle in champagne bottles.

Considering that champagne and sparkling wine only differ in the region they are made, I doubt the process is much different. I was looking for something along the lines of how much priming sugar to use to get the bubbly up enough to fizz for a while after opening. Also was wondering what grape varietals each of you have used to make in the past.

I think what david_42 is getting at, is to make sparkling wine the way champagne is made, there is a lot involved because you are using special techniques and conditions to result in a bottle carbonated beverage that has had most of the sediment removed.

Now more specifically to your questions anything that makes a good wine will usually make an outstanding sparkling wine. Some times even a mediocre wine will get much better when it sparkles. Heck Americas drink of choice proves that. Flat pop is horrible but you add bubbles and everyone loves it.

As far as the actual technique. make a wine and ferment it out dry DRY DRY then bottle it in 750 ml champaign type bottles with either 1 tsp of sugar or 2 carbonation tablets. if using plastic or cork stoppers make sure you wire them down. I prefer to just cap the bottles. Easier to put on and take off.

From a kit will be a bit harder since some of the steps have you clear and add sulfites. There's several methods.
* The traditional method (méthode champenoise), which involves bottling and slow rotations of the bottle, freezing the neck and taking out the lees and then adding juice back in after.
* The tank method: where the wine in bulk is naturally carbonated by priming sugar/juice and once sparkling, then chilled and bottled.
* adding co2 directly into the wine using a co2 tank. (Probably with the wine in a keg, or in a plastic 2 liter bottle.
....Oh... here. Sparkling wine production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess the question is do you do this before sulfiting from a kit?

Back