Recipe help - Tsunami Stout clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevefarns

Reaction score
I'm pretty interested in brewing something very similar to the Pelican's Tsunami Stout. This will be my first jump into all grain having only brewed extract with specialty grains in the past. I've also never taken a stab at making my own recipe before so I'm looking for some feedback as I haven't been able to find anything out there that looks convincing yet.
I'm working off of a stout recipe from my LHBS and tweaking it to use the ingredients listed on the Pelican site.
I'm not the best at describing beers but this is a creamy stout with a thick head and a forward chocolate flavor. Not very hoppy so I've cut down on the hops a bit. I'm assuming that the chocolate flavor is coming from the chocolate malt but if that's not going to get me there, I'd appreciate some feedback on that as well.

Here's my first try:
10lb 8oz 2 Row (Pale Ale Malt)
1lb Roasted Barley
4oz Black Patent Malt
12oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Flaked Barley
3/4oz Magnum
1/2oz Willamette
WLP041 - Pacific Ale Yeast

A couple of notes;
I'm intentionally trying to keep the hops to a minimum because I want my wife to like it as well. Their site lists the yeast as "Pure Ale Yeast" so I'm not sure if maybe California Ale Yeast might be a better option? Pacific just sounded too good.

Anyway, please blow me up if I'm crazy or if there is something out there that I missed.

Thanks,
Steve

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone tried this beer?
I have no idea what I am doing with a recipe from scratch and this will be my first all grain. Both factors make me nervous to pull the trigger without some feedback.

Have you tried contacting the Pelican and asking for the recipe? Years ago I emailed them and asked for their scottish ale recipe and they gave it to me! Just fired off another email asking for their Winema Wit recipe.

The head brewer did email me back and gave me his Winema Wit recipe. I had to adapt it in beersmith for my needs but I think I have it pretty close. I did'nt want to be greedy and ask for multiple recipes so I just settled for that one.

Latest posts

Back