Kegging This Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Well I've collected some parts and almost have my setup complete! I don't have a keezer bought/built yet, but I'm planning to keg this week. My regulator should be here Wednesday, and I'm hoping to drink from my keg this weekend. A few questions first.

1. Do you guys fill the cornies right to the top? I have a 23 litre batch and was thinking to bottle a dozen and a 6 pack, and put the rest (16.5-17 litres) in the keg. Is this ok?

2. I'll be storing the keg at room temperature, and chilling on ice a few hours before and during serving. What psi should I carbonate and serve at?

I leave about an inch or so from the top.
How long before you serve it? It matters

djsethall said:
I leave about an inch or so from the top.
How long before you serve it? It matters

I was planning to keg and carbonate Thursday, take first pint Saturday...

That quick eh? I would bump it to 35-40 psi, actually with the current temp in the high 40's/low 50's in your area I would actualy bump it up to 55-60 psi and shake the hell out of it until your arms get tired to get the co2 dissolved. Do this 3-4 times and then set the psi to 30-35 for the remaining time (don't forget to bleed off the excess pressure when dropping psi). Next time, plan ahead a little further. I set my kegs at 22 psi for 2 weeks at 58 degrees F. Comes out perfect everytime. BTW, your beer will not taste as good as if ou let it age for a few weeks under pressure. Here is a cool carbonation chart.

Thanks for that chart. I was planning to set up a couple kegs and let them age until I had room for a keezer, but then I though I only need a picnic tap and I can serve. Also found out I could be leaving home for work as soon as Monday, and got anxious to try it out.

You need to leave the liquid level below the gas post tube (if there is one). I only fill my kegs to the weld line near the top, never needed check valves, and never had beer in my regulators.

_

Back