Wife has line of the day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooDaddy

Reaction score
Okay, so my very first homebrew -AHS Double Chocolate stout - has been hanging out in the closet for 3 weeks today. I couldn't stand the suspense any longer and decided to try one to see where I stood so I put one in the fridge last night and nervously popped the cap off a couple of hours ago. Not much of a carb pop when I pried off the cap which had me concerned right off the bat, but I tried to keep a positive outlook on things. After all, I've got 42 more bottles of this stuff waiting in the wings.

Anyway, so I pour the beer into a pint glass and I'm standing there looking at it to see if I can see any sediment or massive bacterial colonies floating around, and honestly wondering whether I really want to taste it or not as I have to go to work tomorrow and the hospital is a good 20 minute drive and . .

My wife, who is sitting at the kitchen table reading the Sunday paper and pretty much observing me out of the corner of her eye says quite matter of factly, "You're going to try that over the sink aren't you?"

To which I reply, "I wasn't planning on it, why?"

And she says nonchalantly, "Why, in case you have to spit it out."

I laughed my tail off for a good 30 seconds before re-gaining my composure enough to say, "You know, that's probably not a bad idea."

As for the beer, not too bad, not too bad at all. A bit more bitter than expected but not obnoxiously so, can't really sense the chocolate but nice head and very smooth going down, actually somewhat encouraging all in all. I'm hoping a longer exile in the closet will improve things some, but not really sure why I think that except that some kind folks here have suggested that stouts may benefit from some additional aging. Think I'll try another a few weeks down the road and see if anything's changed.

Pretty cool, pretty cool indeed.

Don't forget that the co2 will need to be absorbed, chill it in the fridge after done bottle conditioning.

My pale ale bottle conditioned for 3 weeks at 70F. Then minimum of 3 days in the fridge to clear the chill haze it'll get when it 1st cools down. I've found 5 days is noticeably better flavor-wise,besides clarity.
But I've read on every forum that stouts generally need a couple months to get good. Maybe more,maybe less. It seems to depend on exactly what was used to make it the particular style of stout that it is.

congrats on the first brew! better get started on the next batch.

Im in the same boat. I did 4g of chocolate stout using cocoa nine in secondary. Then took last gallon and vanilla extracted it. Both are decent. Need more time but definatly not spit in sink beer. Excellent with pie. Go figure. Anywho congrats. Give it a week in fridge. Seems to always mellow mine extra amounts.

Say,jhenderson27,I see you live in Canandaigua,NY. I wonder if you know if Miller Nursery is still in business. Great apple trees & grape vines from them in the past...?

Back