I got some extra Vienna, how do I use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camus

Reaction score
Yeah, I was planning my grain order for my next few batches and ordered 10lbs rather than 1lb of vienna malt, note this is crushed.

How much of this should I use to replace my Pale Ale malt for a couple of Pale Ales? 1/2 of the grain bill?

Thoughts?

You could make a vienna lager....look at the recipe in my pull down. It does convert so you can use it as a base malt....so you can use up to 100% vienna in something. It is the base malt in my vienna lager. You could do an amber ale with it if you weren't setup to lager.

Thanks for the responses.

@ Yooper, I will go forward with my APA and use ~50% Vienna in place of a Pale Ale as I reconfigure my next batches.

@ humann brewing, good suggestion! I found that when searching, tempting along with going with the Vienna ESB. I kicked the idea around, but decided to just do the substitution above with a recipe I brewed before so I could do some comparing.

But that leaves enough grain to try a batch if the below turns out to be a bad idea.

@ Revvy

As much as I would like to try to brew a Vienna lager, not set up for it. As you mentioned Amber I thought a Altbier may be suitable. I am going to dig around the interweb and check out some recipes. I would like to see what I can configure with the hops I have on hand.

Thanks all.

Back