Tripel weirdness - help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
Repost from a reply in another thread that wasn't likely to see responses:

This was the first brew where I was torn between saying "Woo hoo!" and "Whoops."

I followed this recipe. The entire process was smooth and I had zero issues. However, when I was done, my O.G. was - get this - 1.1000. I have no clue where all of the extra sugar came from.

Anyway, I pitched a 1 L starter when it reached ~70 degrees (this was at about 9 PM), and as of this morning, it was just barely starting to show signs of fermentation. Is this a bad thing? I thought a starter was meant to get things moving much faster than that. I hope it burns most of the sugar, because I wanted something with high ABV. :cross:

Ok, so as of my lunch break, it was bubbling at ~24 bubbles/minute. Has anyone had any experience with WLP500?

For your o.g. the hydrometer may have been giving a bad reading because it was sticking to the wall of the tube or you may have just used less water than they did.

12 to 48 hours is typical for fermentation to start. If you're getting 24/minute now, you're fine.

feedthebear said:
For your o.g. the hydrometer may have been giving a bad reading because it was sticking to the wall of the tube or you may have just used less water than they did.

12 to 48 hours is typical for fermentation to start. If you're getting 24/minute now, you're fine.

I actually took it out and put it back in the hydrometer a few times, making sure to spin it when I put it back it. It's definitely what the reading suggested, especially because as of this morning, I'm up to 160 bubbles/minute (!). Now I'm excited about this one. :ban:

Latest posts

Back