What is the difference between these two beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
First is Porter Extract?

(Makes 5 gallons) A good first dark beer. Chocolate and Black Patent malts are the backbone of this style. They are the roasted grains that give Porter its dark color and roasty flavor. Our recipe also features dextrin powder which gives it a creamy body. The Northern Brewer hops impart a nice, but not overpowering, bitterness. Porter is MoreBeer! partner Regan Dillon's favorite style of beer. Most of our Porter recipes are of his design.

And Night Cap Cherry Stout We recommend brewing this batch once a year to have around for special occasions. Even light beer drinkers can appreciate a mug of this stout. The smooth sweet flavor will put you to bed like a glass of warm milk. Our ingredients for this recipe include 6 pounds of dark malt extract, Pure Cherry extract, Crystal malt, Roasted malt, Chocolate malt, Fuggle bittering hops, Williamette aroma hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. Night Cap Cherry Stout w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast

Which of these two does everyone think has the best taste? Also what is the most noticeable differences between Stouts, and Porters?

Best? Can't tell without tasting them. The biggest differences between porters and stouts are the addition of roast barley for a standard stout and roast barley & lactose for a sweet stout. The roast barley gives a coffee-like flavor (called burnt toast by people who don't like stouts). Since their porter has some roast malt and the stout has chocolate malt, this is a tough call.

I'd say, go to the closest brewpub and get a pint of each to compare.

the porter!...that stout is a fruit stout with cherry extract (bleh), even if you like that sort of thing i would recomend going with the more traditinal; i.e. non-fruit beer.

Porter's rule the world of dark beers, and thats not my opinion; its fact.

WeretheBrews said:
And Night Cap Cherry Stout We recommend brewing this batch once a year to have around for special occasions. Even light beer drinkers can appreciate a mug of this stout. The smooth sweet flavor will put you to bed like a glass of warm milk. Our ingredients for this recipe include 6 pounds of dark malt extract, Pure Cherry extract, Crystal malt, Roasted malt, Chocolate malt, Fuggle bittering hops, Williamette aroma hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. Night Cap Cherry Stout w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast

This sounds like something the kit maker hopes people will brew for their friends. However, since not too many people love stout and even less people like fruit stout, this sounds like the fruitcake of beer.

Anyone here who listens to or watches Mike & Mike may understand this: Golic's theory on fruit donuts or cakes is akin to my impression on fruit beer.

If you do want to put plant matter into your beer, make a pumpkin beer once a year to get you in the October mood. A nice cinnamon-and-chocolate pumpkin stout would taste GREAT around a bonfire on the first crisp night of October, shared with friends. In fact, I might just make one soon and let it sit until October.

Back