Headed to Dallas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you can get Real Ale up in Dallas, but I'd definitely give them a shot. Their Full Moon RyePA, and Rio Blanco Pale Ale very good beers. Independence Brewery also has some very good beers. I really like their Bootlegger Brown, and Austin Amber. Rahr and Sons Ugly Pug black lager is a great beer, and should be available up there.

I'm not familiar with any brewpubs or anything in Dallas, but the beers I mentioned are staples in my part of Texas, and really should be available up there.

Deep Ellum IPA is great, they're in Dallas.

Texas breweries you probably can't get in Vermont:

San Antonio:
Real Ale
Ranger Creek

Austin:
Live Oak
Independence (Currently done at Real Ale)

Houston:
Karbach
Southern Star
Saint Arnold
No Label
Buffalo Bayou

Dallas:
Rahr & Sons
Deep Ellum

I'm probably missing some but those are Texas breweries that don't go very far outside of our border, as well as some of the more local Shiner beers.

If you can get your hands on some Karbach in Dallas, it's the best thing going in TX right now, IMHO. Not sure if they distribute up to Dallas yet though.

My friend Michael owns and operates Peticolas Brewing Company. He opened in 01-2012 and won gold this past year at GABF with his English Pale Ale - Royal Scandal. His Imperial Red "Velvet Hammer is very good, too.

www.peticolasbrewing.com

I would suggest going to one of the good local bars, Common Table, Meddlesome Moth, Strageways in Dallas, and trying as many locals as possible. I would put on my list as definites: Peticolas Velvet Hammer, the best beer in Dallas, Deep Ellum IPA, Lakewood Temptress, on nitro if possible, and their Hop Trapp. Four Corners isn't great, same with Firewheel. Rahr is solid but unless you can get a special seasonal they are not outstanding, jsut solid good beer. I often volunteer at Deep Ellum Brewing and Peticolas, its hard to go wrong with any of their beer. If you are here on a Saturday I'd suggest going to a brewery tour, PM me if you need more info, Dallas is probably one of the fastest growing craft beer spots in America right now, its a great place to be for beer.

Besides those mentioned, I'd add Franconia and Lakewood to the other breweries to checkout from Dallas. Austin Beer Works and Jester King from Austin.

Lots of great beers being produced in Texas. And several craft breweries currently set to come on line soon.

I would suggest going to one of the good local bars, Common Table, Meddlesome Moth, Strageways in Dallas, and trying as many locals as possible. I would put on my list as definites: Peticolas Velvet Hammer, the best beer in Dallas, Deep Ellum IPA, Lakewood Temptress, on nitro if possible, and their Hop Trapp. Four Corners isn't great, same with Firewheel. Rahr is solid but unless you can get a special seasonal they are not outstanding, jsut solid good beer. I often volunteer at Deep Ellum Brewing and Peticolas, its hard to go wrong with any of their beer. If you are here on a Saturday I'd suggest going to a brewery tour, PM me if you need more info, Dallas is probably one of the fastest growing craft beer spots in America right now, its a great place to be for beer.

Great place for beer, horrible place for everything else, haha!
Hopefully the bars you list aren't full of *****etastic Ed Hardy and Tapout wannabe's. The women are as fake and stuck up as the gals in LA, for no reason whatsoever.

/Go Houston!
//Dallas Flame OFF
///For real though, good beers.
////Slashies.

Besides those mentioned, I'd add Franconia and Lakewood to the other breweries to checkout from Dallas. Austin Beer Works and Jester King from Austin.

Lots of great beers being produced in Texas. And several craft breweries currently set to come on line soon.

Absolutely Jester King, I forgot to mention this, you can only get it in bottles in Dallas, but they are one of hte top 3 Texas breweries in my opinion

My friend Michael owns and operates Peticolas Brewing Company. He opened in 01-2012 and won gold this past year at GABF with his English Pale Ale - Royal Scandal. His Imperial Red "Velvet Hammer is very good, too.

www.peticolasbrewing.com

Had "The Velvet Hammer" at the Meddlesome Moth last summer and it was by far my favorite of all the beers I sampled there. Its a very malty beer similar to BJ's Jeremiah Red.

Great place for beer, horrible place for everything else, haha!
Hopefully the bars you list aren't full of *****etastic Ed Hardy and Tapout wannabe's. The women are as fake and stuck up as the gals in LA, for no reason whatsoever.

/Go Houston!
//Dallas Flame OFF
///For real though, good beers.
////Slashies.

Wow, I didn't know there were people who preferred Houston over Dallas that had access to the interwebs and enough education to type complete sentences haha. I lived in Deer Park until I was 18, came to Dallas for college and haven't looked back, I hate Houston, its dirty, and everyone there is fat.

The bars I listed are not *****y bars, we def have plenty of that though, the bars I listed are total beer bars, one has already eliminated all BMC products.

Can't wait for the Rangers to spank the Astros 18 times this year!

Wow, I didn't know there were people who preferred Houston over Dallas that had access to the interwebs and enough education to type complete sentences haha. I lived in Deer Park until I was 18, came to Dallas for college and haven't looked back, I hate Houston, its dirty, and everyone there is fat.

The bars I listed are not *****y bars, we def have plenty of that though, the bars I listed are total beer bars, one has already eliminated all BMC products.

I'm from San Antonio, I hate Houston but it's not any better than Dallas.

Y'all need to be nice - we're all from the same great state. :mug:

I'm from Houston and love it (when it's not summertime). I like Dallas quite a bit, too, even though I tend to get lost there if I'm not going to one of a handful of places I have been. Dallas strikes a different sort of traffic fear in my than most places. I digress. To get back on topic, none of those Dallas bars listed are *****ey as far as my experience goes.

Go Astros!

Community Brewing literally opened up last weekend. Very solid Pale Ale but not sure how widespread their beer is yet.

My favorite beer place by far is the Gingerman and, really the only place for growler fills is Craft and Growler. Lots of Texas beers on draft. Definitely check out Meddlesome Moth and Common Table too. And +1 on Velvet Hammer and Deep Ellum IPA.

Oh man I sure do love giving Dallas hell! But in all honesty, Other than the overrun of *****es, It's just like any big city. Bad traffic amd overpriced everything.

No love lost on the Astros, They are in for a very rude awakening this year!

Just don't tell me you are a Cowboys fan too! ;)

Oh man I sure do love giving Dallas hell! But in all honesty, Other than the overrun of *****es, It's just like any big city. Bad traffic amd overpriced everything.

No love lost on the Astros, They are in for a very rude awakening this year!

Just don't tell me you are a Cowboys fan too! ;)

I love the Astros, went to both 2005 World Series games, but in about '08 I finally gave in and became a Rangers fan. It was an easy transition as they weren't competition, they could ideally play each other in the WS, now that the 'stros are a AL West team, I have to choose, and I choose the Rangers.

No way I am a Cowboys fan, I am and always will be a Texans fan, such a great season that ended so disappointingly this year.

I also converted to Mavs, at least I have one championship team in the last decade haha.

I love the Astros, went to both 2005 World Series games, but in about '08 I finally gave in and became a Rangers fan. It was an easy transition as they weren't competition, they could ideally play each other in the WS, now that the 'stros are a AL West team, I have to choose, and I choose the Rangers.

No way I am a Cowboys fan, I am and always will be a Texans fan, such a great season that ended so disappointingly this year.

I also converted to Mavs, at least I have one championship team in the last decade haha.

Still an Oilers fan here. Not as disappointing as is used to be. ;)

Thanks guys. That gives me some ideas. I'll only be down for three days and will be pretty busy, but I hope to sneak out for a few beers and take some decent bottles home. It'll just be nice to have a few warm days. It was 22 below here last night!

Try Rahr & Sons Blonde Lager. It is excellent. Rahr & Sons is from Ft. Worth (30 miles west of Dallas).

Yes they are related to the Rahr malt company.

In Dallas definitely check out peticolas' velvet hammer, it is a fantastic beer. Heard their Royal Scandal is even better, but I cannot speak from experience. Lakewood has a good IPA and deep Ellum brewing has a nice farmhouse, if memory serves right. Rahr and sons most popular beer may be the ugly pug, as that is mostly what I can get here in Austin. As another poster said Jester King brewing does some really cool stuff, but it would just be in bottles up there. If you can get 512 IPA I think that is a really nice beer as well. Lots of great beer in Austin that I don't think you can get out of town, hops and grain have great stuff, I do their tour as often as I can, and circle brewing has a really good amber called Envy. Also, live oak brewing's Roggenbier is awesome.

zmanzorro said:
Community Brewing literally opened up last weekend. Very solid Pale Ale but not sure how widespread their beer is yet.

My favorite beer place by far is the Gingerman and, really the only place for growler fills is Craft and Growler. Lots of Texas beers on draft. Definitely check out Meddlesome Moth and Common Table too. And +1 on Velvet Hammer and Deep Ellum IPA.

Community brewing was recently available on tap at Meddlesome Moth and Common Table.
I will second all votes for deep ellum IPA - great IPA.

My favorite sources of beer are Eno's Pizza, Meddlesome Moth, Union Bear, and Gingerman (uptown location has nice couches upstairs).

Back