Wine Bottle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmm20010

Reaction score
I am considering doing a batch of wine and I was wondering if it mattered if you put white wine into red wine bottles (aka white wine in green bottles)?

I have another question regarding wine bottles. Is stove top pasteurizing wine in wine bottles with a cork setup okay?

If you are referring to the stove top pasteurization used for canning, it won't work for corks. Corks breath, it won't benefit from the heating cycle.

The heat used for canning is used to create a vacuum for the lid to seal.

I have another question regarding wine bottles. Is stove top pasteurizing wine in wine bottles with a cork setup okay?

NO. The corks will probably pop out before the bottle explodes, but not necessarily.

You don't want to pasteurize wine anyway, because fermentation must be done before bottled in regular wine bottles as they don't hold pressure. If you want to carbonate wine, you must use champagne bottles or beer bottles.

NO. The corks will probably pop out before the bottle explodes, but not necessarily.

You don't want to pasteurize wine anyway, because fermentation must be done before bottled in regular wine bottles as they don't hold pressure. If you want to carbonate wine, you must use champagne bottles or beer bottles.

Yeah I know it's not the norm, but I have family members that won't drink it if it's not because they believe it's riddled with yeast and bacteria.

I tried to google this and read another post that said something similar but I don't understand why. Glass should be okay when heated, just like when you put them in the dishwasher. The only variable here would be the cork. I wasn't thinking about submerging the corks themselves, just the body of the wine bottle, but I'm not sure what would happen.

Yeah I know it's not the norm, but I have family members that won't drink it if it's not because they believe it's riddled with yeast and bacteria.

so you go through the motions when they are watching and ignore it when they aren't

irchowi said:

I tried to google this and read another post that said something similar but I don't understand why. Glass should be okay when heated, just like when you put them in the dishwasher. The only variable here would be the cork. I wasn't thinking about submerging the corks themselves, just the body of the wine bottle, but I'm not sure what would happen.

If you GENTLY heat them (say 160 degrees) it should be fine, but a viggerous boil will cause the corks to pop. Its a volume/pressure thing.

not to be disrespectful to your family but they are idiots. if the wine had a bacteria infection you would know and well if you dont like yeast then dont drink alcohol because it comes from yeast...

I have family members that won't drink it if it's not because they believe it's riddled with yeast and bacteria.

Then stabilize the wine, [back sweeten], let it settle out, rack, then bottle. Of course, if they can't understand that you used chemicals to kill off all bacteria (a long time ago) and yeast, then maybe they don't understand the process enough. Educate them, have them help you make a fresh batch, maybe they'll learn enough to love it, and subsequently drink much of your cellar.

Back