Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHUSS

Reaction score
I made a starter on Saturday intending to brew Monday. Well...... With a family things got in the way. My question...what should I do with the starter bc I will not be able to brew until Saturday? Should I leave it on the stir plate or put it in the fridge and revitalize it on Thursday or friday or option 3?

Put it in the fridge with sanitized foil over the opening. This will 'cold crash' the yeast down to the bottom of the flask, concentrating it. When you're brewing on Saturday, take the flask out of the fridge and let it get up to room temp. Before you pitch the yeast in, decant most of the cleared starter off of the yeast cake. Leave enough to create a slurry though. Then just hold the stirbar with a magnet (if you didn't already remove it), swirl it up to get all the yeast into a slurry, and pitch that into your oxygenated wort.

Put it in the fridge with sanitized foil over the opening. This will 'cold crash' the yeast down to the bottom of the flask, concentrating it. When you're brewing on Saturday, take the flask out of the fridge and let it get up to room temp. Before you pitch the yeast in, decant most of the cleared starter off of the yeast cake. Leave enough to create a slurry though. Then just hold the stirbar with a magnet (if you didn't already remove it), swirl it up to get all the yeast into a slurry, and pitch that into your oxygenated wort.

That's what I do with every starter, aside from the stir plate stuff since I don't use one.

Having a stirplate makes it so much easier. Plus you get to make smaller starters for the batch. :D I've actually got my eye on a stirplate that will easily handle a 5L starter. Just waiting until after I move to get it (******* landlord)...

Having a stirplate makes it so much easier. Plus you get to make smaller starters for the batch. :D I've actually got my eye on a stirplate that will easily handle a 5L starter. Just waiting until after I move to get it (******* landlord)...

Yeah, I know. There's every reason to get one, and I will. One of the main reasons I don't brew more lagers is that it's a major PITA to make a starter of appropriate size.

Asking a newbie question here. What am I gaining by putting in the fridge in lieu of leaving it on the stir plate?

Back