Is sour safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a sour mash. Do I need to worry about my sour mash contaminating my brew closet? How about my fermenter; will I be able to use the bucket for anything other than sours ever again?

:ban:

You only have to worry about your vessels. Nothing outside is going to get contaminated.

If you are going to boil after the sour mash then its the same as any other beer.

Generally you will be advised to dedicated a bucket and tubing to your sour batches. I do this myself as the cost is minimal compared to ingredient cost and the time involved.

You can use your bucket for both if it does not have any scratches and you clean well.

That makes sense. It’d be much cheaper to get dedicated equipment than to risk contaminating other future brews. Especially since I expect I’ll be doing sours on a regular basis.

I suppose the same goes for the bottling bucket too. I’ll need two sour buckets anyway since I think I’ll be racking this one onto oak for a bit.

Definitely don't use a bottling bucket for anything else!

I personally don't like the plastic valves on them as they are not easy to take apart to clean.

I guess I should clarify, the "bottling" bucket I get for my sours will be another plain bucket

I got a bottling bucket in my first kit but I don't see the point in bottling from the spigot. A racking cane can get straight down to the bottom while the spigot is always going to leave some waste. Plus, another plain bucket can be used for anything, primary, secondary, and bottling. That way I can primary in one, rack into another, and then use the first bucket again when it's time to bottle.

I now am using the bucket with a spigot to hold my StarSan water. Though the spigot is impractical for bottling, it is quite convenient for deploying sanitizer.

A racking cane can get straight down to the bottom while the spigot is always going to leave some waste.
Ah, but that's only because you never got Revvy to teach you how to add a siphon to your bottling bucket!

Hmmm? I’m intrigued.

Does Revvy mount the spigot on the floor of the bottling bucket?

Back