Favorite hop for dry hopping(pale ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIceGfunk

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my 6th batch and gonna do my first dry hopping. I can't decide what hop to get for dry hopping. I'm brewing a pale ale and want to get it as floral and citrus as possible.

+1 on Amarillo for dry hopping.

I also highly recommend Citra and Centennial for dry hopping.

Simcoe and Columbus make some weird, dank aromas that I really like, but I wouldn't describe them as floral and/or citrusy.

"Floral and citrusy" to me says you want centennial! It's got a definite floral taste with the citrus. Amarillo is grapefruity, and cascade is also citrusy but without the floral notes. Simcoe is more resiny, while chinook also has some resiny pine in the citrus notes.

If you use earthy and spicy(uk first gold, galena) type hops for brewing, would it be meaningless to use a citrus or floral(centennial) type hop for dry hopping?

Using a citrusy style hop for d-hop and earthy hops for bittering can work quite well if your not worried about style guidelines. Brewer's alley in frederick has an english style IPA with kent goldings for bitterness and flavor, and what seems to be cascade for aroma and dry-hop additions. Very tasty and unique...

Amarillo and Citra are my favorites to use for dry hopping. Although I'm going to brew a Galaxy pale ale tomorrow, so we'll see how that hop does for dry hopping.

I've dry hopped with Citra and loved it!

Using a citrusy style hop for d-hop and earthy hops for bittering can work quite well if your not worried about style guidelines. Brewer's alley in frederick has an english style IPA with kent goldings for bitterness and flavor, and what seems to be cascade for aroma and dry-hop additions. Very tasty and unique...

I was there last week and had that IPA from the cask. Soooo delicious. I've never had a cask beer before so that was a pretty awesome experience

I dry hopped my last pale ale with Willamette and I fn love it. Bittered with all late additions 10 and 5 minutes, of Willamette, Sterling, and Revolution to 33 ibu's. Lots of hop aroma and drinks real smooth.

amarillo or centennial...... both awesome....

In Lagunita's IPA (my favorite IPA) they use as one of 5 different hops, centennial but do not use amarillo. I always thought that the taste I liked was from the amarillo, but it was the centennial I liked instead. :mug:

EROK said:
amarillo or centennial...... both awesome....

In Lagunita's IPA (my favorite IPA) they use as one of 5 different hops, centennial but do not use amarillo. I always thought that the taste I liked was from the amarillo, but it was the centennial I liked instead. :mug:

Great to know! I love their IPA too. I'm gonna go with centennial for sure now.

I just brewed up "Dank Nugget IPA" and was thinking about trying out some Dry Hopping.
Figured I'd stick with the hops that were used in the brewing (Nugget and Cascade) . Which of the 2 would be better for it?

I just bottled my IPA that used 2oz each of Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade,1.5oz each as late additions. The Cascade was whole leaf. I dry hopped one week with the remaining .5oz of each. The aroma was driving me nuts! The flavor is a light toasty malt with lemon,grapefruit,& bitter orange/tangerine,& some earthy,spiciness under that. The aroma also reaks of these. But the fruity esters from the cooper's ale yeast compliments them very well.
The whole 1st floor smelled of my IPA while bottling/cleaning up. Def a good combo!

I like to use cascade and Simcoe for my dry hopping. That gives a good combo. If you like just citrus go Cascade and citra!

Seems the two closest LHBS are all out of Amarillo and centennial. I know I won't get the taste I'm looking for but cascades will have to do.

So just to bump this thread real quick. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow morning and wanted to dry hop before I leave. Since chinook and cascades is what I have now, that's what I'm using. I will be back next Saturday and plan on bottling next Sunday. Is 9 1/2 days too long to dry hop?

i just started drinking a beer i did with all centennial, and I dry hopped with 3 oz of the stuff (needed to get rid of it) it's got a ridiculously great hop aroma

danorocks17 said:
i just started drinking a beer i did with all centennial, and I dry hopped with 3 oz of the stuff (needed to get rid of it) it's got a ridiculously great hop aroma

How long did u dry hop?

Back