Homebrew trade in Oswego NY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigErn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be making my way to Oswego NY around December 16th from Holland MI. Any homebrewers around the Oswego area want to do a little 6er trade?

Damn... I'm swinging through Oswego on the 14th but heading out the next day to Ithaca. My wife and I are going on a 4 day brewery tour of Central NY.

Are you planning on trying King Arthur's?

Damn... I'm swinging through Oswego on the 14th but heading out the next day to Ithaca. My wife and I are going on a 4 day brewery tour of Central NY.

Be sure to check out Middle Ages in Syracuse.

Yea I should have posted that Im orrigionaly from that area. Ill be visiting family for a week.

Middle ages is my favorite. King arthurs not so much. Their beer isnt bad just kind of non-memorable.

You are going to be in my neck of the woods. I'm assuming you are going to Ithaca Brewery, if not you have to. I would also suggest Roosterfish in Watkins Glen and my new favorite brewpub, Two Goats Brewing in Hector. It's a newer place with an incredible view of Seneca Lake, he has an IPA, cream ale and oatmeal stout and then carries many other good brews. I would also suggest Wagner Brewery/Winery up the road. If you like harder stuff check out Finger Lakes Distillery. Heck, pm me if you want any info on wineries or breweries, I've been to all of them and my wife is a manager at a local winery. I live right next to several of the wineries.

Ithaca for sure, but now you have me wondering about Rooster Fish. It was originally on the route, but since it is slightly out-of-the-way on the way home, I knocked it off in favor of another place in Ithaca. I'll grab my list in a bit and post it up.

Day 1: Suds Factory, Middle Ages, and Empire Brewing in Syracuse

Day 2: King Arthur's in Oswego

Day 3: Ithaca Brewing, Bandwagon Brewpub, Scalehouse Brewpub

I guess I'm going to have to put Rooster Fish down for lunch on the drive home.

We aren't hitting any wineries because we want to do a trip dedicated to that during the harvest one year.

+1 to Empire Brewing in Syracuse. Beer and food is excellent. Middle Ages have some good beers, and Suds is mediocre.

Last time I was in Oswego there was a real estate sign in the window of King Arthurs...

We aren't hitting any wineries because we want to do a trip dedicated to that during the harvest one year.

Middle Ages and Empire are good, I don't care for suds factory very much.
I forgot about bandwagon, they are very cool and brew with a homebrew type system. They brew like crazy to keep up with demand, try the jalapeno beer if they have it, I love it. I don't think scalehouse brews any beer but I haven't been there, it's supposed to have lots of good taps though. I think Roosterfish is going to be out of your way, it's west of Ithaca. If you do go there I would highly recommend heading north on 414 from Watkins Glen, there is a new place called Two Goats Brewing that is cool. It's 10 minutes from roosterfish. The owner was a homebrewer and tore down and rebuilt an 1800's barn and made it into a bar/microbrewery with the best view of Seneca Lake. Wagner Brewery is about 10 more minutes north and is worth the trip. Microbreweries are popping up all over the area because of the wine trail. Your trip sounds like fun, good luck.

While your there its always worth stopping in at Blue Tusk. Empire was one of my favorites when I was in school. We still go there when we go for basketball games.

I just remembered the scalehouse, I was thinking of somewhere else. If you are going there for pizza thats one thing, if you are going for the beer forget the place. It is a pizza parlor with 3 beer tanks in it, I have never seen anything like it, he ferments and serves out of the same tank. He buys liquid extract to brew the beer. That is the only "microbrewery" I have ever been to where I couldn't even finish the beer, it was horrid and tasted like I was drinking a yeast starter. I wouldn't go there for beer if I lived next door and it was free.

Back