Holy ****! The $4,000,000 woman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is sitting here Oprah, and there is a f*cking bionic woman on there!

She lost her arm in a motorcycle accident and somehow got involved in some special program that was doing tests on new types of prosthetics.

Several year safter the accident, she had a surgery where the nerves endings that used to go down to her left arm were re-attaches to muscles in her left peck.

They, she was outfitted with a removable arm on a sling type of thing worth $4M. There are electrodes in the harness of the arm that sit over top of the places where the nerves are grafted to the muscles in the chest.

Now, when she wants to move her arm, she just thinks about it in the same way you think abotu moving your own arm. The electrodes pick up the different muscle twiches under the skin and the robotic arm moves around.

It's unreal. I mean... she's not going to be playing concert piano or anything, but... damn.. this is crazy.

-walker

Have you seen that guy who's a quadriplegic who has the same thing grafted into his brain? I read about it in Wired a while ago. He can manipulate a mouse pointer on a computer monitor by thinking about it. Totally crazy. They told him to think about moving a mouse with his hand in a certain direction and then they would map how his brain sent the signals etcetera. After a while the computer learned enough that he can control it with pretty amazing dexterity. He also said that he doesn't think about moving his imaginary mouse anymore, he just thinks of it as moving the pointer. Kicks the **** out of Chris Pike's one or two beeps!

rdwj said:
When she moves, does it go...

neh, na, na, na, na, na!

No, but I made a similar joke. My wife had gasped, "FOUR MILLION DOLLARS!?" and my response was:

For another $2M, you can get a bionic big toe that goes "SHaa-naaa-naaa-naaa" when you run.

-walker

the_bird said:
You think she can diddle herself with that thing?

EDIT: I'm a pervert, aren't I?

Yes, yes you are :p

but seriously do ya think...
I mean for 4 million bucks she must be able to...

Oh yeah, one more thing walker, it's okay, you don't have to say 'my wife was watching Oprah' Stand up and take it like a man. Say: 'I was watching Oprah the other day!' And then lay this sweet PIP screenshot on whoever gives you trouble:

2639-dreams_011.jpg

After this was taken I got my ass handed to me by the 'Canes... They got lucky...

Chairman Cheyco said:
Oh yeah, one more thing walker, it's okay, you don't have to say 'my wife was watching Oprah' Stand up and take it like a man. Say: 'I was watching Oprah the other day!' And then lay this sweet PIP screenshot on whoever gives you trouble:

In his defense, Oprah has become mildly hot these days. Or was that last year, and she's fat again? I can't keep up.

SwAMi75 said:
In his defense, Oprah has become mildly hot these days.

You must be getting real drunk early to think that. :drunk:

This is BS. $4 million? The Cubs have paid Kerry Wood will over $40 million over the past 8 years and his broke-ass arm still doesn't work.

BS? Not really. Much of the work in this field is being funded by DoD & the VA, for obvious reasons:( .

david_42 said:
BS? Not really. Much of the work in this field is being funded by DoD & the VA, for obvious reasons:( .

No, it's BS that her arm was rebuilt for 1/10th of what Kerry Wood's non-functioning arm has been paid.

In that case I agree. Since I don't follow sports, I didn't know who KW was. It is beyond imagination that any sports player is worth that kind of money.

Orpheus said:
BTW Chairman,

You play NHL on PC or game console? I have the PC and would be happy to throw biscuits in the back of your net (insert bad double entendres here!)

Console, I gave up trying to keep my PC in game-playing trim years ago. Consoles are so much easier on the hardware budget, plus I know how to slice them...

Back