Would this work as a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check the recycle code on them, the number inside the recycle symbol. It's probably a "7" which means it's not ideal. Recycle codes "1" and "2" are best.

They are made for storing drinking water, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for beer.

Tom

Dunno though, people say don't use water bottles because they may leech chemicals and this may be true but someone, somewhere, in a big chair has deemed them safe to use for the storage, transportation, and the dispensing of water.

it seems to me water would be more suseptable to absorbing things then a thicker wort?

And o2 absorbtion, how can it be any different from a 6 gallon bucket you use. I am going to put it all on the line and brew a beer in a water bottle, ill report back with my findings(oxidation, off tastes etc.) Hell maybe find a lab to test for known chemicals in plastics(if it is cost effective and they will accept beer). Wish me luck

That sounds like a plan.

Keep in mind that even though #7 plastic is used in the US for water storage containers, they are banned in other countries and Nalgene has pulled their water bottles off the market if they contain #7 plastic. Actually, the problem is BPA, a substance in the plastic. Also, all baby bottles, etc that contain #7 plastic have been removed from the shelves. To some, it's not an issue, so I'm just telling you why I wouldn't do it. Also, while water may not have absorbed those chemicals, I'm not well enough versed in chemistry to know if a liquid with alcohol in it would absorb more or less of the chemical BPA or other chemicals.

It may be fine, but a bucket costs about the same, and is KNOWN GOOD for fermenting.

Its not worth the chance of a ruined batch (6 hours of my time + cost of ingredients.)

Go get a 6.5 gallon bucket and lid for $14. You will need some headspace anyway.

Back