First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitOS

Reaction score
Like most first timers I've been fairly impatient with my fist batch. I started out with an Imperial Stout which sat in the primary for three weeks before bottling. The FG was higher than it should have been @ 1.030 which it stayed at for a week and a half. So out of impatience I bottled it. I'm concerned about bottle bombs but what's done is done.

Today, only six days after bottling, I just had to break one open to see how things were going. To my surprise there was a good hiss with no bubble over but the carbonation in the glass minimal. It tasted really good but of course not what it will taste like in a few weeks.

I'm thinking I should leave let this condition for three more weeks, total of four, at least but it's hard to wait. How long do you think I should allow this to condition?

I've heard it said your last bottle is always the best but I really love stouts so I want ALL of them to be great.

The Imperials that I make usually sit, bottled, for a few months, before I even think of drinking. The flavor will be much better after is has "aged". I also leave in the carboys longer, primary is a little over a month and secondary is about 2. I think the last batch was 9 months total after pitching the yeast.

I find bottle-to-bottle consistency of carbonation is best at six weeks. The beer itself, however, may be better with more time on it.

Generally the higher the OG, the longer the beer will take to peak. Most ales I will consume within six months of bottling, but high gravity brews I may not even touch for six months, and drink them between six and twelve months old (in the bottle, not counting time spent fermenting and clearing prior to bottling).

Patience, my son. Patience. Glad to hear it tastes great now, but this beer should be much better after a few months. If you don't want to wait that long, at least set aside a sixer or 2 and try to forget about them.
Now, get moving on something not as big that can be ready to drink after 2-3 weeks in the bottle!

Forget the above advice, if YOUR beer tastes good to YOU now then drink it whenever you want. My beer tastes good every time I pour a glass. And if somethings not right, I'll search around here to look what's wrong with it. You gotta do what makes you happy, and if you happen to have some left in two months and it tastes much better, then you've learned something. If you decide to wait and the remaining bottles explode you'll regret it.

Sorry to get so wound up, there is some good advice here, but each brewery is different. Take the "wild fermentation" threads. I've brewed big beers, beers with supposed vigorous (hefe) yeasts and haven't had anything close to needing a blowoff. Don't discount what you read here; I don't. Just keep in mind that it's your brewery, your equipment with your ingredients making your beer.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will take most of it and just "hide it" or put in a spot not visible. Seeing those dark bottles just sit there makes me anxious.

I've got a vanilla porter and amber fermenting now. The amber will be ready to drink in two weeks. :mug:

Back