All my beer is frozen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSRider

Reaction score
Its warmer in Anchorage AK than it is here in WA. My beer llines froze on my kegs and the hefe and red froze solid. The Dead Guy is about 7.5% so its still slush. My shop is about 8 degrees so I can even work on my brewing setup. I went and picked up a sixer of New belgiums 2below. Its a right tasty brew and I think I may have to try a batch of it. As soon as it gets back into the 20's Im going to keep going on my single tier all grain setup.

Yeah, I'd get those things somewhere warm. There is a pic somewhere on this forum that shows what happens when your kegs freeze solid.

Well lucky for me, or unlucky for me, they are only about 1/2 full, so there is plenty of room for expansion. I stuck them back into the fridge which is turned off so they should be warming up a bit. I stuck one of them in the fermentatin chamber on the bottom so its sittting at 60 degrees. I would hate to have all my kegs busted at once.

Yeah, I'd get those things somewhere warm. There is a pic somewhere on this forum that shows what happens when your kegs freeze solid.

Silverdale huh, I used to live up by the paving plant at the top of newberry. I still come back over there to my buddies in belfair.

Edit: I just checked out your blog, I see your a coner, hehe, just funning. I was Nuke MM on the pennsylvania. I used to live next door to a CS chief, hes the first homebrewer I ever knew.

I live in MN and had the same problem with my kegs and lines freezing. What i did was wire the light to stay on and put the fridge on low. At first i just turned the fridge off with the light on. That was a bad idea since that little light bulb heated the fridge up to about 60 degrees and the meat i had in the freezer went bad.

By the way I was a AE2 in whidbey for five years. Seems funny that your having this problem. I miss washington winters. Compared to Minnesota its usually tropical.

I was almost in the same boat as you. During the winter I leave kegs just sitting in my garage. Last year I was fermenting a lager out there around this time. Now its frickin cold out there.

My lowest ABV keg was a little slushy, all the rest are still liquid. I covered up all the kegs with an electric blanket and that seems to be working fine for keeping them from losing any more heat.

I've got a temp probe under there and its come up a few degrees. At least that was yesterday, I still have to go out and check in a few minutes

I live in MN and had the same problem with my kegs and lines freezing. What i did was wire the light to stay on and put the fridge on low. At first i just turned the fridge off with the light on. That was a bad idea since that little light bulb heated the fridge up to about 60 degrees and the meat i had in the freezer went bad.

By the way I was a AE2 in whidbey for five years. Seems funny that your having this problem. I miss washington winters. Compared to Minnesota its usually tropical.

West side winters are a piece of cake, They rarely see below freezing temps. I loved it over there, but on the east side of the cascades its a little different story.

West side winters are a piece of cake, They rarely see below freezing temps. I loved it over there, but on the east side of the cascades its a little different story.

What you mean not all of Washington is like Seattle?!?!?! Theres desert in Washington?!?!?!

Its always tough to convince people that it doesn't rain all the time here

Back