Whirlpool Direction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I have seen some pictures of whirlpools people have built and wanted to pass along a pointer. I know it is not super critical, but as long as you are doing it, you might as well do it right.

When setting the flow direction set it in the natural direction of whirlpools. Northern Hemispher is clockwise, southern in counter. Look at the whirlpool when you flush your toilet or empty the sink. By having the whirlpool directed in the right way you are not fighting nature.

OK, I'll bite. Is this for real? The one time I bothered to whirlpool, which I don't bother with now since I just strain my wort now, I remember stirring in a clockwise direction without even thinking about it. Are you saying that if I had stirred the other way, while brewing in the Northern Hemisphere I would not have had a successful trub cone development? I find that hard to swallow.

I don't think he is saying it would be a failure, however he is just pointing out it is a lot easier to not fight nature. Just go with the FLow.

ma2brew said:
OK, I'll bite. Is this for real? The one time I bothered to whirlpool, which I don't bother with now since I just strain my wort now, I remember stirring in a clockwise direction without even thinking about it. Are you saying that if I had stirred the other way, while brewing in the Northern Hemisphere I would not have had a successful trub cone development? I find that hard to swallow.
You might have, but you are fighting the forces of nature. Liquids always drain clockwise north of the equater, same way most rivers flow north to south (although there are some rivers with engineered exceptions).

What if my is spill some wort and I am right on the Great Divide will some of my wort really end up in the Gulf of Mexico and some in the Atlantic Ocean?

82c0ca8b-0ee6-445b-be41-844e932ddd42.jpg

yeah they accidentely introduced Australia with bullfrogs. "Bullfrog? I'da called it a chizzlewazzle!"

I whirlpool counterclockwise....against nature. Only because my immersion chiller flows clockwise...so I stir the opposite way to quicken the heat exchange, and I dont want to undo all that whirlpooling by stirring the other way when I take the IC out.

Snopes calls it an urban legend:
http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp
Without some convincing evidence to the contrary, I wouldn't buy into it.

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html
Is it possible to detect the Earth’s rotation in a draining sink?
Yes, but it is very difficult. Because the Coriolis force is so small, one must go to extraordinary lengths to detect it. But, it has been done. You cannot use an ordinary sink for it lacks the requisite circular symmetry: its oval shape and off-center drain render any results suspect. Those who have succeeded used a smooth pan of about one meter in diameter with a very small hole in the center. A stopper (which could be removed from below so as to not introduce any spurious motion) blocked the hole while the pan was being filled with water. The water was then allowed to sit undisturbed for perhaps a week to let all of the motion die out which was introduced during filling. Then, the stopper was removed (from below). Because the hole was very small, the pan drained slowly indeed. This was necessary, because it takes hours before the tiny Coriolis force could develop sufficient deviation in the draining water for it to produce a circular flow. With these procedures, it was found that the rotation was always cyclonic.​

So if you apply another ounce of force when stirring to get your whirlpool spinning a fraction of an RPM faster, you will have just compensated for the coriolis force many times over.

I used to believe the Coriolis Force influenced drainage direction in northern and southern hemispheres (probably because of that Simpsons episode), until this thread made me read this from wikipedia (seems legit). I really like the part that says if the Coriolis force did affect drainage direction, it would drain counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere.

"Draining in bathtubs and toilets
A misconception in popular culture is that water in bathtubs or toilets always drains in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the other direction in the Southern Hemisphere as a consequence of the Coriolis effect. This idea has been perpetuated by several television programs, including an episode of The Simpsons and one of The X-Files.[1] In addition, several science broadcasts and publications (including at least one college-level physics textbook) have made this incorrect statement.[2]

Some sources that incorrectly attribute draining direction to the Coriolis force also get the direction wrong, stating that water drains clockwise in the northern hemisphere. If the Coriolis force were the dominant factor, drain vortices would spin counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere.

In reality the Coriolis effect is a few orders of magnitude smaller than various random influences on drain direction, such as the geometry of the container and the direction in which water was initially added to it. Most toilets flush in only one direction, because the toilet water flows into the bowl at an angle.[3] If water shot into the basin from the opposite direction, the water would spin in the opposite direction.[4]

When the water is being drawn towards the drain, the radius of its rotation around the drain decreases, so its rate of rotation increases from the low background level to a noticeable spin in order to conserve its angular momentum (the same effect as ice skaters bringing their arms in to cause them to spin faster). As shown by Ascher Shapiro in a 1961 educational video (Vorticity, Part 1), this effect can indeed reveal the influence of the Coriolis force on drain direction, but only under carefully controlled laboratory conditions. In a large, circular, symmetrical container (ideally over 1m in diameter and conical), still water (whose motion is so little that over the course of a day, displacements are small compared to the size of the container) escaping through a very small hole, will drain in a cyclonic fashion: counterclockwise in the Northern hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern hemisphere—the same direction as the Earth rotates with respect to the corresponding pole."

Yeah, I'm gonna say the coriolis force is going to make a minute, if any effect. That's based on 3 years of college physics and 3 semesters of meteorology classes (I like to know when it's gonna snow...helps with that whole skibum thing).

But it's the little things that impact beer flavor, right? Whatever works.

In something this size random movements will override any Coriolis force. Toilet bowls are built so the water spins in the "right" direction, just because people expect it. To actually see Coriolis forces in action requires a water tank about 20 meters across that is thermally isolated and allowed to rest for a couple weeks. Then you have a very specially designed stopper in the exact center of the tank open. Did the experiment once as part of a NSF project.

Back