Am I a homebrewer? NO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, I find the desire to 'upgrade' our moniker due to someone else's supposed negative belief and their lack of obtaining credible information to be able to converse intelligently to be A: untrue to oneself at its base and B: beyond pretentious.

Well said fellow Brewer.

Cheers,

I think your comment "definitely a homebrew" is what we are talking about. Why is there a difference between a "homebrew" vs. any other craft beer? IMO there shouldn't be.

there is a difference because the law says there's a difference.

Uncle Sam says you can't sell your homebrew, but you can sell craft beer, provided he gets his cut.

Maybe I'm living in an odd area, but everyone I've ever met who hears that I'm a homebrewer, usually can't wait to try one of my beers. In fact, i was working in the yard this past Saturday morning when my new neighbor introduced me to his brother-in-law who was there to help him put in a retaining wall. His first question was, "I heard you are a homebrewer" We chatted for it a bit, then I said I had to get to work, but let me know when they needed a break and I'd get them some tastes. He said, "No better time than the present." They were both pretty happy and came back for more in the afternoon.

I'll agree with those who think, "If you think homebrewer is a derogatory term, that's your problem." Legally, by definition, that's what we are. As I've said though, I've never really gotten the negative reaction some may have. Maybe it's because I didn't start brewing until the craft beer movement was well into full swing.

Ever heard of a guy (I think he was a guy, he did wear tights afterall) called Shakespere? He said something along the lines of
What's in a name? that which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet
Homebrewer. basement brewer, basement crackpot, amatuer zymurgist, Jon. Call me whatever you want. If you are mean to me i can say

Soup-Nazi.jpg

No Beer for you!

"Homebrew" rolls of the tongue, "Artisan brew" sounds *****ey.

I'm a "homebrewer", a moniker achieved simply by brewing my first batch of beer at home. There are those who brew at a more advanced level of homebrewing that might want to be identified by the term, "artisan" over simple "homebrewer". But, I suspect that the majority of would-be "artisans" here on HBTF are the types who would never think of labeling themselves something just to impress others. I have very little to offer yet in experience to others here, but I am grateful to the artisans here who have aspired to and achieved higher levels of the craft, and have humbly shared their knowledge with me, a mere "2-batcher".

The true artisan is the guy or gal who, for the passion of the craft, wants to see others enjoy it as much as they have without expecting anything in return --- even the notoriety of being an expert. Reminds me of the old saying,

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Homebrew: Doesn't the moniker not elicit images of squalor and unsanitary conditions as a result of past media reports? I don't consider myself a "homebrewer". Whether I brew at home or at some event or even if I brew in the street, I am not a "homebrewer" in the classical since of the term. The days of blue ribbon malt hopped extract are long past for me and all modern brewers.
Homebrewers? NO. Artisan brewers? YES. We have access to all modern malts and yeasts and additives and adjuncts necessary to brew with the best commercial brewers. The derogatory term "homebrewer", IMO, should be put to rest. Why are those that chose to make quality bread named artisan bakers instead of homebakers? I for one am just sick and tired of the derogatory image associated with the moniker "homebrewer". We are ever so much more than that. [end rant] . Cheers, fellow artisans ..

Good god you ole bless. Get a hobby!

If you went up to a professional brewer and said his beer tastes like homebrew what do you think his reaction would be? Do you think he would take it as a compliment or rather as a derogatory comment? I try to make my beer indistinguishable from a commercial brewery.

Growing up, homebrewers were considered DIY electronic and computer hobbyists. These days I'm just happy to run into people outside of my regular circles who even know that homebrewers correlate to beer.
This. To me, homebrew meant I could play Tetris on my calculator. Much more of a tech/geek connotation than squalor/hilljack/moonshine.

If you aren't a geek about your homebrew I bet you don't have half the fun you could with it.

Sorry but your rant sounds like one of those *****ey car commercials...quit worrying about marketing yourself with nouns and just enjoy the adjectives people give when they try your beers. If you're making your beers without propane or electricity, and using donkeys to grind your grain and not using any modern machines, then call yourself artisan, otherwise join the rest of us and chillax. :mug:

Good god you ole bless. Get a hobby!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Go back to the cellar. I'm finding these responses to be very entertaining and enlightening. Conclusion? Yep, I'm really old and out of touch with "modern" America. Still having fun though. And still not a feckin homebrewer as known by society when I was your age. :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Go back to the cellar. I'm finding these responses to be very entertaining and enlightening. Conclusion? Yep, I'm really old and out of touch with "modern" America. Still having fun though. And still not a feckin homebrewer as known by society when I was your age. :)

Since you implied that you got your start with Blue Ribbon hopped malt extract, you might be right. When you were brewing during Prohibition, homebrew was equal to moonshine. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the same connotation now.

And in light of that history,people who don't know any better will see home brew as hooch. Your home made T-Rex wizz can't possibly be as good as that brewed by real professionals. And you call those dinosaur farts aroma?? That's pretty much the commoner's response to home brew. Until they try at least a decent representation of the home brewer's art. Then there's the enlightenment.

Hey, don't be too hard on PBR. Afterall, if it weren't for beers like that, I might not be here right now trying to brew REAL beer! :)

Oh, I'm not bagging on PBR at all. It is real beer, and it's my favorite American adjunct lager. And you can't beat the price/value. It's full flavored and crisp. Even thought it's been bought and sold, it still tastes good, which isn't always the case. I'm a big fan of PBR in cans, bottles, tallboys, on draft, whatever. (And anyone who says otherwise should go have a couple before they spout off about it.)

I was referring to the fact that during Prohibition, Pabst sold hopped malt extract for "baking," but also passed along brewing instructions through the mail. It was illegal to brew at home or anywhere during that time. So brewers at home were more likely regarded in the same way as moonshiners would be.

If you went up to a professional brewer and said his beer tastes like homebrew what do you think his reaction would be? Do you think he would take it as a compliment or rather as a derogatory comment? I try to make my beer indistinguishable from a commercial brewery.

Of course my first question would be, "why on Earth would you say that to a professional brewer to begin with?"

But I imagine whether he was offended would depend on who said it, and the context in which it was said. Just as it can be either be a compliment or an insult, if someone tells a professional chef his food tastes home-made....

Personally I don't try to make my beer indistinguishable from commercial beer, any more than I try to make furniture that looks like I bought it from IKEA or Ethan Allen. I just work at making my beer taste good, and my furniture attractive and useful.

I think you're beating a dead horse here. Being called a homebrewer isn't an insult, unless you want it to be.

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Since you'd like to be called a brewing artisan, maybe, you'd like to be called a roads scholar, too.

I guess technically I'm not really a homebrewer. We have a large outdoor kitchen in the rec area at work, and that's where I do my brewing (on my own time, of course). Big double sink, electricity, unlimited ice and RO water, gas range, countertops and tables...

I've gotten a few funny looks and/or comments from co-workers, generally related to rules about alcohol on the premises.

But as I tell them, "Hey. When I carry my carboy out of here, there isn't a drop of alcohol in it. It's just a sweet cereal drink."

Does that make me a work brewer? :)

I guess technically I'm not really a homebrewer. We have a large outdoor kitchen in the rec area at work, and that's where I do my brewing (on my own time, of course). Big double sink, electricity, unlimited ice and RO water, gas range, countertops and tables...

I've gotten a few funny looks and/or comments from co-workers, generally related to rules about alcohol on the premises.

But as I tell them, "Hey. When I carry my carboy out of here, there isn't a drop of alcohol in it. It's just a sweet cereal drink."

Does that make me a work brewer? :)

It probably makes you an outlaw. Home brewing is legal. Brewing at a commercial location? Not sure.

It probably makes you an outlaw. Home brewing is legal. Brewing at a commercial location? Not sure.

I think the laws concerning homebrewing apply to the purpose for which you're brewing it, not the physical location where you're doing so. But regardless, what I'm doing is as legal as mixing up a batch of Kool-Aid anyway. Wort doesn't start turning into beer until you pitch the yeast - which I do at home, right before it goes into the fermenter. I had that conversation with my boss a long time ago. Not that he was particularly worried about it; I just wanted him to have a ready answer if someone comes to him about it.

But I was thinking: since I'm doing it in the rec area, I guess that makes me a recreational brewer. :)

add: looks like smizak beat me to it. I'll have to practice typing faster.

If one owns a bait shop, would one be considered a Master Baiter?

In the World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria expansion, there's actually a fishing supplies vendor at Angler's Wharf with that title....

Wow, this thread is still going? Sudbuster, you got a lot of people hot and bothered.

Here's to "freedom of speech" :rockin:

Homebrew: Doesn't the moniker not elicit images of squalor and unsanitary conditions as a result of past media reports? I don't consider myself a "homebrewer". Whether I brew at home or at some event or even if I brew in the street, I am not a "homebrewer" in the classical since of the term. The days of blue ribbon malt hopped extract are long past for me and all modern brewers.
Homebrewers? NO. Artisan brewers? YES. We have access to all modern malts and yeasts and additives and adjuncts necessary to brew with the best commercial brewers. The derogatory term "homebrewer", IMO, should be put to rest. Why are those that chose to make quality bread named artisan bakers instead of homebakers? I for one am just sick and tired of the derogatory image associated with the moniker "homebrewer". We are ever so much more than that. [end rant] . Cheers, fellow artisans ..

You ARE a homebrewer..so am I and I'm proud if it. It is the height of arrogance to pronounce yourself and "artisan" brewer. If you have a problem wiht the term "homebrewer", get over it.

You ARE a homebrewer..so am I and I'm proud if it. It is the height of arrogance to pronounce yourself and "artisan" brewer. If you have a problem wiht the term "homebrewer", get over it.

Not sure why someone would want to slap such an overused label on himself anyway. You can walk down the aisles of your local supermarket and see artisan breads, artisan cheeses, artisan olive oil and vinegar .... Domino's even sells 'artisan pizzas.'

Yeah, I'll stick with 'homebrewer.' It's simple, straightforward and honest.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the over used word classic yet. Many of us have brewed classic beers that have gone extinct. Home archeological classic brewer???;)

I don't know.... It doesn't really matter if you make beer at your house or a commercial brewery. If you brew it you are a brewer. I don't see the need for a distinction. Unless you are going to say one is clearly superior to the other.....;)

Back