Brewing software for ipad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatsSchindee

Reaction score
[Hi all - I posted this post below in the software section of the forum, but it seems that part doesn't get much traffic, as I've yet to have a response... So I'm reposting it here too, as I'm still a newbie and new to any software! Please give any advice and recommendations - thanks!]

I've been using brewersfriend.com for recipe formulation and tweaking so far, and do like that site/software. But I'm looking for something that I can use without having to be online (I travel for work and want to be able to use it on a plane or in a hotel or airport that doesn't have free wifi). I read through a few software specific threads, but didn't see anything recent that compared programs specifically on the iPad and iPhone5 (both of which I have and use - my laptop is just about dead and I don't really use it since I have the iPad.

It looks like iBrewMaster2, iBrewMaster for iPad (ver1), BeerSmith Mobile, and BeerAlchemy Touch2 are the best options I see in the App Store (and please recommend any others that I don't see there!). Just as a reference for what I want/need: I'm a partial mash brewer mostly (still some extract only, and hoping to move up to BIAB all-grain stovetop eventually. I mainly want it for recipe formulation, and for the different brewing calculators used during brewing and bottling. And ideally, something that updates between the two devices so I can use my phone as well (though I usually always have the iPad with me, so that's not too big of a deal).

It seems like iBM2 has a lot of functionality, but had some bug issues when first released (that was a few months ago, though). I can't tell from reading the description, but can BSmobile be used only by itself, or do you have to have BS on a computer as a base program? I don't think you would, but some of the statements about syncing between the two make that ambiguous.

I just received an App Store gift card, and want to use it toward this, so cost isn't a big factor either (relatively, of course!). Thanks for any advice, warnings, and recommendations, iPad users!

I have BeerSmith Mobile for my iPad and it works well enough. I've also used BrewPal. I honestly like them both. BrewPal is a quite a bit simpler, but you can still create recipes, on it etc. BeerSmith has a lot more configurability, with regards to your equipment, etc. You don't need to be online to use either of them. You also do not need the desktop version of BeerSmith to use the IOS version.

I use BeerAlchemy and it works good for me. I also have it on my computer and the can do a wireless synch. So if I write a recipe on one device I can synch it. I usually use my iPad when I brew so if I make changes on the fly, or if I make notes I can synch it later.

NTexBrewer said:
It looks like Brewer's Friend does have an iOS app. I would check their customer support to see if the app works offline. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brewers-friend/id600569349?mt=8 In reading through the information on the link above it was not obvious if it will work properly offline.

Thanks for the replies.

It does look like you can use it offline, but to sync it to the online version (your account on the cloud), you have to pay for a premium membership ($10/yr, or less for longer). But it appears to be fully functional as a stand-alone app... The only downside it is designed for the iPhone, not the iPad, but will still work using the 2x button to double the size (yet pixelated somewhat).

Still would love to hear from someone using ibrewmaster2, as that's the one I'm leaning toward... Any cons to that one?

I have used iBrewMaster and beta tested iBrewMaster2 and still use that currently. I have no experience with the BeerSmith app but I do have a copy of BS2 on my MacBook. I also have and used BeerPal prior to finding iBrewMaster.

IMHO I wasted the money on BS2 because I can do everything there with iBM2 except for some of the advanced vol/eff. Calculations. The biggest thing for me is that I don't have to take my laptop out for brew day. It makes things a lot easier.

In addition to this the schedule and timers make this awesome. I always forget when to move things from primary to secondary and when I should start checking gravity to see if the beer is ready. iBM2 makes this easy and gives me reminders.

Some of the individual calculators are a little off/not fully functional but if you are just going to be doing recipe formulation and brew day activities then I highly doubt you'll even need the individual calculators.

I've used BrewPal for a long time. It has a couple things I don't like. Like at my elevation, water boils at 200F, not 212F. That makes a big difference in a step mash. It used to give me the ability to account for that. Then one of the updates took it away.

On the plus side BrewPal, it's simple and cheap.

I've been thinking of upgrading to BrewSmith. But it's more expensive and more complex.

I use and enjoy BeerAlchemy 2.x. For me, it's the best UI of all, very mac-like and the workflow just makes since. However, the one thing it lacks is timers. For the life of me I can't understand why they don't add mash/boil timers to this product.

Also, I suggest you read this thread, iBrewMaster2, before purchasing IB2.

Jim

+1 for Beer Alchemy 2

I have it on my ipad, iPhone and Mac

Sync works well

Normally I design recipes on the Mac, keep brew day notes on the ipad, and use the phone to look up recipe details when tasting brews, especially at a club meeting or when visiting friends. Like the ability to include tasting notes and pictures with each batch.

Back