heat and cool-temp control in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Hi, I currently use a Johnson Digital controller in my fermentation fridge in my garage. In need to maintain a temp of about 50 deg f for a lager fermentation. The temp is measured and controlled through a thermowell. There will be 2 carboys in the refigerator. I have a small space heater that has digital buttons but the temp only goes down to 60. I have checked it and when it is on low-it over powers the fridge and ambient is 55-so this wont work. Because we have temp swings of about 60 during the day and 30 at night I need to both cool and heat as needed....alot of the times I will not be around to manually make changes. I am thinking that the best way to do this would be to have the smallest heat source running inside at all times and let the controller remain on the cooling cycle. I will also want to be able to raise the temp to 60 for a diacetyl rest after attenuative. What would be my best bet here? Thanks

The best solution would be based on a dual stage controller, but in lieu of that, a 40 watt light bulb running constantly might work...

Cheers!

Well, right a dual stage controller such as the STC-1000 sounds indicated here. With as low of a wattage heat source as is practicable to keep it in your minimum range.

would i need to cover a blacklight with foil

A true black light emits almost entirely in the UVA range, and you wouldn't want to be bathing your beer with that. So, yes, some kind of light-blocking would be a good idea.

That said, if you're going with light bulbs, a low-wattage incandescent would be the better choice. There's no starter or ballast circuitry needed, incandescents put out virtually zero energy in the UV spectrum so there's no need to shield them, and with the wide range of wattages available you can dial in what works best at a modest cost...

Cheers!

i also bought a 25 and 40 watt incandecent light....these dont need foil or anything?

thanks

Back