Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this last year and it was awesome!! This year I'm thinking of aging on rum or bourbon and oak. The flavors seem like they should compliment it well. Would probably ho very light on the liquor though. Any opinions?

Hey everyone,

I haven't seen a PM recipe on this thread yet, so I thought I would use Beersmith to try to find an equivalent. I haven't used beersmith before, so I'd appreciate any input/changes you would make. Here's what I ended up with:

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Boil time: 60 minutes

Ingredients:

7 lbs, 12 oz. - Pale liquid extract
3 lbs, 6 oz. - Pale malt (2 Row)
9 oz. - Victory malt
7 oz. - Crystal malt 80L
12 oz. - Dememara sugar
4 oz. - Light brown sugar
.75 oz. - Magnum hops - 60 minutes
.25 oz. - Sterling hops - 15 minutes
2 packs Safeale S-05

And then all the flavorings are the same

Does this sound like an equivalent to the AG recipe?

Cheers and many thanks!

I brew a pumpkin ale every year and have learned that adding pumpkin is really to say "yeah, it's made with real pumpkin"...Now I throw in one can of Libby's and call it a day.

Agreed. I am going with just one can this year, and only so I can truthfully answer "Yes" when asked if it is brewed with real pumpkin.

I made this last year and it was awesome!! This year I'm thinking of aging on rum or bourbon and oak. The flavors seem like they should compliment it well. Would probably ho very light on the liquor though. Any opinions?

Well, ST makes oak-aged pumking, so you could try that first if you wanted to sample. I prefer regular pumking over oa pumking, but then I'm not a fan of many oak-aged beers.

Well, ST makes oak-aged pumking, so you could try that first if you wanted to sample. I prefer regular pumking over oa pumking, but then I'm not a fan of many oak-aged beers.
I was about to post the same thing. Our local pub had both Pumking and Oak Aged Pumking on tap last fall, and my wife & I both liked the non-oaked more. I think it was because the flavors were more distinct and pumpkin-pie-like.

In regards to the oaking process for Southern Tier, I found out that most of the time they use oak chips in a tea-bag sort of method, much like we would do for homebrewing. I'm not sure if this is what they did for the Pumpking. My experience is that the beers aged in actual oak barrels produce a much better flavor than the oak chips. They did do a bourbon oak aged version of their barleywine which was much better than the regular. All that being said, I say try the rum soaked oak chips in half a batch and regular for the other half.

Do you add it to the mash or boil?

Mash, otherwise you risk cooking the pumpkin in the boil which gets messy and will give your beer an almost irreversible haze. Throw some rice hulls in there as well, pumpkin will gunk up your mash but good.

Just tried for 1st time and I love it. Taste like a pumpkin pie with gramcracker crust n cool whip . I am going to try this clone. Everyone says its clone to original so I'm in.

ForumRunner_20120817_202334.jpg

sivdrinks said:
Is a tsp of the Graham cracker extract really enough for 5 gallons of brew?

Yes. I added it going to secondary and it was very noticeable. I would do that then add a bit more at bottling if you see fit, but dont do more. It is potent.

Trying this beer for first time this season as we speak. It's delicious! After reading this entire thread, I definitely get what everyone was struggling to place with the aroma/flavor in this. Something sweet/vanilla/buttery. It's what really makes pumking different from other pumpkin beers (that and lack of cinnamon). Sounds like the consensus is the graham flavor extract-- looks like I'll be taking advantage of the current $2 shipping sale from Capella! Thanks for the clone attempt and happy pumpkin ale season!

From Southern Tier's site:

ABOUT THE BEER
STYLE: Imperial Pumpkin Ale
BREWED SINCE: 2007
ABV: 8.6%
FERMENTATION: Ale yeast, two types of malt, two types of hops, pumpkin
COLOR: Deep copper
EFFERVESCENCE: Medium carbonation
NOSE: Pumpkin, pie spices, buttery crust, vanilla, roasted pecans
FLAVOR: Malty sweetness, vanilla, clove, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pie crust
BITTERNESS: Low
BODY: Medium-light
SERVING TEMPERATURE: 48°F
GLASS: Goblet
AVAILABILITY: Autumn seasonal, August release / 22oz / 1/6 keg
CELLARING: 35-40°F

I just picked up two bottles at Wegmans! So far I haven't found a close recipe that matches up to the specs of the bottle? Does anyone have anything that is close? I see the recipe on page 20 comes out to 33 IBUs, but the bottle state that it's only 15.

I just picked up two bottles at Wegmans! So far I haven't found a close recipe that matches up to the specs of the bottle? Does anyone have anything that is close? I see the recipe on page 20 comes out to 33 IBUs, but the bottle state that it's only 15.

My bottles do not list IBU's, can you post a picture of yours?

If someone send me a bottle of the clone on pg 20 ill sample it next to the st pumking.

If you send me a bottle of the ST pumking, I will sample it along side my clone attempt....

It should be out soon here, I will post once I do a heads up. I still have some 09/10/11 in the cellar also. May do a little vertical.

How much vanilla extract are you guys that are cheap like me using? Damn vanilla beans are expensive.

ya that was one expense i lucked out on, my gf happened to have a ton of beans laying around so after reading online how to make extract, it said soak 3-4 beans in a cup of booze for 4-6 months. so since i only had 2 weeks, i doubled the beans. so i put 8 beans chopped in quarters and split in a cup of rum. then put about 4-5 ounces of the liquid in the 5 gallon batch. and let 6 of the chopped beans in(so maybe 1.5-2 beans). along with a teaspoon of graham cracker extract and a tsp of pumpkin pie spice. pretty nervous that is too much vanilla, but hopefully the GC extract and pie spice balances it. i was originally going to let it sit for 2-3 weeks, but now i think ill bottle it after a week so it doesnt keep getting stronger

If you send me a bottle of the ST pumking, I will sample it along side my clone attempt....

It should be out soon here, I will post once I do a heads up. I still have some 09/10/11 in the cellar also. May do a little vertical.

i would be wiling to maybe do a trade: pumking for clone (if you could throw in another brew from a local brewery that would be cool,cause pumking aint cheap) so we can both compare if that would work... I could throw in a few other beers as well - we have several breweries in jax.

Any one got a clone sample and a 2013 pumking handy to do a taste comparison??
I'm getting a case of Pumking today, and my clone is 3 weeks in bottles but still not quite ready. I'll probably give mine a couple more weeks then do a side by side and report back how it goes.

Awesome chug!! feel free to shoot me a PM if we can work out a trade so i can try your clone attempt!! I had a few bottles of pumking shipped to me so they will be here on the 28th! please post your recipe so we can see what you did!

Awesome chug!! feel free to shoot me a PM if we can work out a trade so i can try your clone attempt!! I had a few bottles of pumking shipped to me so they will be here on the 28th! please post your recipe so we can see what you did!

I shouldn't have said "my clone", sorry. I followed the recipe on page 20. The only thing I did different, for some reason, is add just a few extra drops of the graham cracker extract :eek: which I can tell was a bit of a mistake from the earlier samples I tried. While still quite good, the graham cracker flavor kind of stuck out over the other spices. However, I had one of mine again last night and the other flavors are starting to come through, so I'm thinking (hoping) the graham cracker is fading and it's gonna be very good with a little more time.

So what's the best recipe for this? I'll be doing a 2.5 gallon extract batch if I decide on a recipe. I was thinking of doing the thunderstruck pumpkin ale next but now I think I should do this one.

Has anyone noticed a chemical or solvent-like nose and/or flavor from this graham cracker extract? I have been experimenting by putting a drop or two in a couple beers, and the nose is unbearable. I'm wondering if it fades after a couple weeks in secondary. If not, this stuff isn't going in my beer! My pumpkin beer just finished fermenting (and tastes wonderful!), so I need to make a decision.

Anyone think mashing these would be a good idea instead of using the extract? Thought they might be better than the regular Nabisco crackers.

300.jpg

Anyone think mashing these would be a good idea instead of using the extract? Thought they might be better than the regular Nabisco crackers.[/IMG]

Mashing in my mouth, maybe. Those things are so good. I get them for my daughter and I end up eating most of them.

Latest posts

Back