Nice score last weekend & question about N2 tank valve.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabst Blue Robot

Reaction score
My uncle is getting out of brewing and I just scored all of his gear! The booty:

A homemade CFC
2 corny kegs, 1 is new
5# CO2 tank & regulator w/ gas disconnect
Faucet connected to a liquid disconnect
Cobra tap
1 6.5g carboy
1 5g carboy
2 3g carboys
A hydrometer
A bucket in a bucket sparge system
Some canes, hoses, funnels, bottles, airlocks, bungs, caps, & additives
A N2 tank that had been converted to a CO2 tank (different valve on top)

Now the thing that interests me most (besides the CFC, I've been working with a small immersion for 10g batches for too long) is the N2 tank. It was stamped as nitrogen but then restamped as CO2 and the valve was replaced.

Does anyone know how I would go about replacing the valve with beer gas compatible one and getting it recertified for that? I'd like to have a nice stout setup one day.

Either way, I'm stoked about the haul. This brings me up to 17 cornies, 3 6.5g's, 5 5g's, 3 3g's, and 3 co2 tanks.

:rockin:

Call your compressed gas company and see if they use CO2 tanks for beer gas mix. In Phoenix, they use CO2 tanks for both gasses.

I got an N2 tank and regulator on e-bay and so I have to bring it in to get re-filled instead of changed. It's a PITA.

check at your local airgas distributor. they told me that they are changing their beergas to exactly what you have: nitrogen tanks with co2 valves (CGA-320, i believe).

i have an 80 CF beergas tank that is exactly like this.

gnef said:
check at your local airgas distributor. they told me that they are changing their beergas to exactly what you have: nitrogen tanks with co2 valves (CGA-320, i believe).

i have an 80 CF beergas tank that is exactly like this.

Does that mean I could use a CO2 regulator on the beergas tank?

precisely. co2 regulators in general are rated to 1800 psi, which is what they fill these 80CF tanks that have co2 valves.

some nitrogen tanks are rated to 3000. these should have only the cga 580 (nitrogen/argon) valve, because the nitrogen regulators are rated to higher pressure.

so technically, with these tanks, you only get a half fill, but to get a 3000psi tank is generally more expensive, and not as common, as far as i can tell. the tank that i have is rated to ~2000 psi, which is the same for most co2 tanks.

gnef said:
precisely. co2 regulators in general are rated to 1800 psi, which is what they fill these 80CF tanks that have co2 valves.

some nitrogen tanks are rated to 3000. these should have only the cga 580 (nitrogen/argon) valve, because the nitrogen regulators are rated to higher pressure.

so technically, with these tanks, you only get a half fill, but to get a 3000psi tank is generally more expensive, and not as common, as far as i can tell. the tank that i have is rated to ~2000 psi, which is the same for most co2 tanks.

That's great news, thanks for your help!

Back