Do I need a heatsink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I'm piecing together a RIMS tub and control panel. I bought these parts.

RIMS.jpg

I did not buy a heat sink. Do I need one? Or does the size of the SSR (40amps) mean it can handle the load?

Thanks guys.

Solid state relays are semiconductor devices that generate heat in proportion to the quantity of amps being switched. Heat sinks capture that thermal rise and dissipate it. It is important that you use a properly sized heat sink or else the SSR product will be permanently damaged.

Although you aren't pulling many amps, it's cheap insurance.

Any way I could use the J2 relay output to power a small server fan? I have several around.

Anything over 4 amps really needs a heat sink.

With loads of less than 2-4 amperes, cooling by free flowing convection or forced air currents around the unit is usually sufficient. Loads greater than 4 Amps will require heat sinks. SSR units are to be mounted to some heat sinking metal surface, material heat conductivity should be kept in mind.

Heat sinks are recommended or you may shorten the life of your SSR. A fan will probably help, but I imagine it will not dissipate heat as well as a good heat sink with some heat sink compound in between it and the SSR.

That AC SSR has a voltage drop of at least 1V. Times 10A, that's 10 watts of heat needing to be dissipated by the SSR. I'd say that definitely requires a heat sink.

[edit] just looked at datasheet, 1.6V drop. ~ 20W given off as heat. Needs heatsink.

I just ordered the heatsink. Shouldn't interfere with my plans to brew next weekend if I can get the control panel cutouts done. I think I finally have a handle on the wiring.

Thanks guys.

Back