Expected FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjensen3618

Reaction score
I just brewed my first beer tonight after a long time of reading, researching, and hoping to do it one day!

I used the Northern Brewer St. Paul Porter Extract kit for my first brew.
The recipe was.

Specialty Grains-
.5lb Simpsons Chocolate
.5lb Simpsons Dark Crystal

Malt-
6lbs Dark Malt Syrup
1lb Dry Dark Malt Extract

Hops-
2oz. Cluster 60min.
1oz. Cascade 1min.

I just brewed the beer and got to a starting gravity of 1.049 which isn't too far off from instructions which shows SG of 1.052.

My question is what FG can I expect? The kit instructions and website don't don't say and how can I find this out for myself in the future?

Using yeast Safeale US-05

Thanks a lot!
lol, as you can see form my join date I've been wanted to do this for a while, so excited!

you'll be able to test the final gravity with a hydrometer (sp?) about $6 at the LHBS..
you take the final gravity before bottling and subtract it from the original gravity, then plug the #'s into an online calculator.. it will give you the ABV%

So far so good though !!

Based on the attenuation of the yeast, ideally it should be around 1.012. Based on your ingredients though, I'd guess closer to 1.016.

Thanks for the help guys.
Also I didn't adjust my OG for temp when I originally took it. But, adjusted for temp it comes to exactly what it should 1.052. Now its time to plan for my next brew!:rockin:

Back