How to Sanitize a Whiskey Barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashiba

Reaction score
Planning on using a freshly used whiskey barrel this summer as a secondary for a huge batch of beer. Just curious if anyone here has done this and what method they used for sanitation without compromising the Whiskey flavor.

Burning a sulfur stick in a freshly emptied whiskey barrel is very dangerous. The danger is that the alcohol remaining in the barrel can and probably will explode. This happened to someone I know. He got a fairly severe burn as a result. Don't do it.

There's no need to sanitize a fresh whiskey barrel IMO. That barrel contained some very high proof whiskey. The alcohol content of the whiskey should be more than enough to take care of any potential contamination issues. I've been involved in a number of bourbon barrel beer projects and we have never sanitized the barrels prior to filling with beer.

you should be able to follow the rules for oak barrel use. i believe a solution of k-meta is used.

Back