Using a Corny Keg for Dryhopping and Oaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokenfloken

Reaction score
I don't have a full kegging system yet but I do have some 5 gal corny kegs. Does anybody use kegs for dryhopping and oaking and then going from the keg to a bottling bucket? Are there any downsides to doing this? Is a 5 gal carboy a better option? I'm just trying to weight buying a 5 gal corny versus buying another 6.5 gal corny. John Palmer says to use a 5 in order to minimize headspace. Any thoughts?

all of mine are 5 gallons...

I think you meant you're trying to weigh buying a 5 gallon corny instead of another 6.5 gallon carboy

5 gallons cornys fit about 5.25 gallons of beer if I'm not mistaken so you should be ok

i think he means he already has 5-gal corny kegs and is weighing buying a 5-Gal carboy vs a 6.5-Gal carboy to minimize headspace.

If you at least have the hookups for CO2 it wouldn't be a problem to dry-hop/oak/age your beer in the 5-Gal corney keg as long as you purge the headspace and seal the keg.

I do have the CO2 tank and fittings to fill it so I could purge it. Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly do I purge the tank of oxygen? I got a great deal on the kegging system but I haven't started using any of it since I'm currently purchasing my first house and live in a small apartment right now.

put the lid back on the keg to make the keg pressure tight. Hook up the co2 to the "in" post, turn on the gas and open the pressure relief valve. you'll hear the gas escaping through the valve.

I don't have a full kegging system yet but I do have some 5 gal corny kegs. Does anybody use kegs for dryhopping and oaking and then going from the keg to a bottling bucket? Are there any downsides to doing this? Is a 5 gal carboy a better option? I'm just trying to weight buying a 5 gal corny versus buying another 6.5 gal corny. John Palmer says to use a 5 in order to minimize headspace. Any thoughts?

I dry hop in the keg all of the time. Using C02 to purge the hops of oxygen works really good. I put the hops in loose by using this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/catalogsearch/result/?q=surescreen

I do have the CO2 tank and fittings to fill it so I could purge it. Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly do I purge the tank of oxygen? I got a great deal on the kegging system but I haven't started using any of it since I'm currently purchasing my first house and live in a small apartment right now.

Hit the keg with 20 PSI or so for a few seconds. Wait for a minute or two (co2 is heavier than air, so the gases will stratify) and then open the pressure release valve which will force the air out. Even if a small amount of air remains, the bottom layer is c02 and as you fill from the bottom you will push any remaining air out.

After you fill, it doesn't hurt to repeat this process to purge the head space of any air that entered during the transfer, if you filled through the opening. If you fill through a beverage out disconnect and keep everything closed, you don't need to do the second purge on the filled container.

fill the keg with brew seal the keg and fill with some c02. pull the ring on top to let some air out. C02 is heavier than the air we breathe so the air should escape first leaving only co2.

oops..already posted.

Is it possible to siphon from the "out" disconnect to make it easier to get it into the bottling bucket?

Yes, you can drain from the corny out disconnect by getting it started with your CO2 pressure and then moving the corny up on a table to let gravity do the rest. Or, just use enough CO2 to get the beer out.

You really are just moving the beer out the same way you would serve it from the keg.

I have a corny that had a bad post and converted it for use as a primary and secondary fermenter. Works great.

Latest posts

Back