hops wont go down.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
so my first batch has been in primary for about a week now and theres still alot of hops floating around in my primary, will they go down when in the secondary?
plus my hydrometer reading has been at 1.020 for the past 2 or 3 days,should i rack to secondary or wait abit longer?
american pale ale
6#LME
1# crystal
2oz cascade
fermentis dry yest
thanks

Yeah... hops will just float around... or do whatever they want. Don't sweat it... you'll be siphoning from underneath them anyway when you go to rack to secondary or bottle so it's not anything to be concerned about.

If you used whole leaf hops or plugs rather than pellets, maybe try a "hop sock" (am not sure the technical term) during the boil for your next brew... it'll keep them out of your fermenter.

If you use pellets, try "whirl-pooling" your wort before dumping it in the ferment (and leave the last dregs that will accumulate on the bottom of your kettle).

Cheers,
Awfers

so my first batch has been in primary for about a week now and theres still alot of hops floating around in my primary, will they go down when in the secondary?
plus my hydrometer reading has been at 1.020 for the past 2 or 3 days,should i rack to secondary or wait abit longer?
american pale ale
6#LME
1# crystal
2oz cascade
fermentis dry yest
thanks

I would definitely not move that to the secondary yet. Your gravity is still way to high to move it away from the bulk of the yeast. You might want to try swirling the primary or warming it up a bit to get the yeast working again. Your FG should be around 1.012 and you don't want to go to the secondary until your much closer to that.

thanks...the problem is its been in primary for a week,and it has not moved from 1.020 in 3 days

Try giving your fermenter a little swirl to rouse the yeast. Then give it a few more days and take another hydrometer reading to see if that did anything. If you're still stuck at 1.020 you might want to pitch more yeast.

hope i dont need more yeast..an hour drive to the HBS LOL
just gave it a little shake. see what happens in a couple of days. ill let you all know.. thanks again :mug:

Back