1000 Blue Moon Clones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
M searching for a good blue moon clone to brew for my next batch, but my search has turned up hundreds of clone recipes.

Has anyone tried the recipe on brewmasters warehouse database? That's where I get all my grains.

For the guys who have brewed and drank Blue Moon clones before, would you use the Belgian wit yeast? I heard its supposed to use a clean American strain...

brettwasbtd said:
I believe this thread is the main one - former employee divulges info on the recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

For a true clone I think that you need to use an american yeast, the wit yeast is very tasty though!

Thanks! I've read through that thread, it lists about 6-7 recipes, but nothing definite, I don't think a final "perfect" recipe was found by the posters in that thread.

Anybody else find a perfect recipe? Or have any insight on the recipe below, taken from www.brewmasterswarehouse.com

Ingredient Name Amount
Briess Flaked Wheat 4 lbs, 8 oz
Crisp Pale Ale 4 lbs, 8 oz
Kent Goldings 1 oz @ 60 mins

Yeast says Belgian wit, I'm thinkin W001 California Ale?

I'd stick with a grain bill closer to Wayne1's recipe in the above thread if you're really determined to nail it (i.e., 50% 2-row malt, 40% white wheat malt, 10% flaked oats). Hop with Hallertauer or something similar and definitely use WLP001, 1056 or US-05.

The biggest challenge seems to be getting the spices right, but I've also thought the commercial version has a lot of variation - draft tastes different than bottles, fresher tastes different than older, etc. My suggestion would be to start with equal amounts of freshly crushed coriander and dried sweet orange peel, maybe 0.50 to 0.65 oz of each.

I've tried some of the much-discussed variations in that thread, like the ones that call for crystal, boiling the oats, 3.0 oz of orange peel, fresh orange zest, etc., and they just don't seem as close to me. Good, maybe even better in some ways, but not as close. Good luck!

jwalker1140 said:
I'd stick with a grain bill closer to Wayne1's recipe in the above thread if you're really determined to nail it (i.e., 50% 2-row malt, 40% white wheat malt, 10% flaked oats). Hop with Hallertauer or something similar and definitely use WLP001, 1056 or US-05.

The biggest challenge seems to be getting the spices right, but I've also thought the commercial version has a lot of variation - draft tastes different than bottles, fresher tastes different than older, etc. My suggestion would be to start with equal amounts of freshly crushed coriander and dried sweet orange peel, maybe 0.50 to 0.65 oz of each.

I've tried some of the much-discussed variations in that thread, like the ones that call for crystal, boiling the oats, 3.0 oz of orange peel, fresh orange zest, etc., and they just don't seem as close to me. Good, maybe even better in some ways, but not as close. Good luck!

Awesome info, thanks a lot!

Ok I'd like to go with the original recipe that Wayne1 has posted but it only shows percentages. I'm not sure the total grain bill, can someone more knowledgable than I give me the basics of that recipe?

I used Brewtarget to come up with this

7 pounds 2 row 51%
5.5 pounds white wheat 40%
1.25 flaked oats 9%

I think it would come out close. Good luck and keep us updated.

BrewerBear said:

7 pounds 2 row 51%
1.25 flaked oats 9%

That's damn near identical percentages as the original. Thanks!

BrewerBear said:

7 pounds 2 row 51%
1.25 flaked oats 9%

That for 5 gallons post boil?

BrewerBear said:

7 pounds 2 row 51%
1.25 flaked oats 9%

That for 5 gallons post boil?

That seems like a lot of grain for a 5 gal batch. Consider something like this:

5 lbs 2-row
4 lbs white wheat malt
1 lbs flaked oats

With a 5 gal batch, post boil, and 70% efficiency, this gives an OG of 1.053, which is exactly what you want. You'll note that the lbs = the target % too, which makes this easy to remember.

I'd suggest that you mash between 152-154 for 60-90 min, boil for 60 min. One hop addition at 60 min to get 17.5 IBUs. Toss in 0.6 oz of fresh ground coriander at 10 min and 0.6 oz of dried sweet orange peel at 5 min. Ferment with 001, 1056 or 05 at 67F and you're there.

jwalker1140 said:
That seems like a lot of grain for a 5 gal batch. Consider something like this:

5 lbs 2-row
4 lbs white wheat malt
1 lbs flaked oats

With a 5 gal batch, post boil, and 70% efficiency, this gives an OG of 1.053, which is exactly what you want. You'll note that the lbs = the target % too, which makes this easy to remember.

I'd suggest that you mash between 152-154 for 60-90 min, boil for 60 min. One hop addition at 60 min to get 17.5 IBUs. Toss in 0.6 oz of fresh ground coriander at 10 min and 0.6 oz of dried sweet orange peel at 5 min. Ferment with 001, 1056 or 05 at 67F and you're there.

Thanks, I punched that recipe into brewmastershardware.com and 1oz of hallerteau @ 60 minutes will leave with IBUs at 13?

Otherwise it's spot on!

13 IBUs seems low, but maybe they're using the Tinseth formula or something whereas I'm more used to the Rager formula. I use Beersmith 2 and when I add 13 IBUs worth of hallerteau using Tinseth and then switch to Rager, the IBUs change to 17.4. Regardless, 1oz of hallerteau (AA ~4%) at 60 should put you in the ballpark.

jwalker1140 said:
13 IBUs seems low, but maybe they're using the Tinseth formula or something whereas I'm more used to the Rager formula. I use Beersmith 2 and when I add 13 IBUs worth of hallerteau using Tinseth and then switch to Rager, the IBUs change to 17.4. Regardless, 1oz of hallerteau (AA ~4%) at 60 should put you in the ballpark.

Thanks. I'll be ordering the grains soon, gonna pitch it on my wlp001 cake from my Red Ale!

Back