Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torgo

Reaction score
This is probably a very newbish question, but would it be better to bottle in dark bottles or does the bottle color make little difference with mead?

Thanks

I like to use darker bottles for all my brews, it helps to shield against light. I've heard that ultraviolet light can produce hydrogen sulfide in wines, I assume this is the case in meads and beers as well. The new Compact Fluorescent bulbs produce a lot more ultraviolet than the old incandescent bulbs, that's why I keep an incandescent above my wine rack in the basement. I also shy away from stores that store their wine out under CF bulbs.

Use either of the two. It won't effect the mead unless you leave it out in direct sunlight for a day. Then you might get some off flavors. Beers you want the barker bottles because of the hops.

Yea, with mead it is less important. When I use lighter bottles, I keep them tucked away regardless though.

Latest posts

Back