How early is too early for a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helgoes

Reaction score
Looking to brew with multiple people on Labor Day, but currently only have one stir plate. Is there any harm in using a stir plate 2-3 days early, then letting it sit after having it on the plate for a full 24 hours? We'd probably shake it whenever we walked by it, but it wouldn't be continuous up until the point where we would pitch it.

Wasn't sure if there was a law of diminishing returns when making yeast starters. The other option is to use it a day early for one person, then have another one start it the day of brewing, then pitch the next day.

Let me know if anyone has had any experience (good or bad) with doing either option.

hey i just moved from west hartford!

I make my starters w/o a stir plate, and just shake it when i walk by. You should be fine.

The good folks at white labs say your starter is good for at least a week as long as it stays covered and refrigerated. I've used week old starters with no problems at all.

Baby was due May 29. Planned to brew May 19-20 on the long weekend. Fired up a starter on Thursday night. Baby came early on May 18. Baby had a heart issue, and we had to stay in the hospital until the 23. Finally got around to brewing on May 27.

So... that starter was in the fridge for 9 days - no problems at all.

Although I have only made 5 or so starters I have cold crashed two of them for two days to decant off the wort and no issues. You will have no issue making a starter and refrigerating it for use later.

Back