2007 Lobuck Rules Committee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewiz said:
I got on this tread a little late and I love the idea but, why would I want to make a beer that even comes close to something I refuse to drink (i.e BMC)?? Why not make something that is comparable to Sam Adams, Sierra or great regional micro's that we all love to enjoy. I don't feel like I have to justify my homebrew in cost or any other reason to the majors but more to the regional/micro's.

Assuming you're an extract brewer... Are you absolutely confident that you need to spend $30-40 per kit to get a good finished product? Are you certain that there aren't ways of producing a BETTER product for less money? If such techniques or approaches exist, I ask you: What are they?

If you do not know, and I do not know, then don't you think we ought to find out? And do you think people will voluntarily try to discover radical techniques and recipes on their own for no reason? Or do you think such techniques and recipes are more likely to come about from a friendly challenge/competition?

That's what I'm getting at.... It's just an opportunity to experiment in ways that most people wouldn't be inclined to otherwise do on their own.

Toot said:
Assuming you're an extract brewer... Are you absolutely confident that you need to spend $30-40 per kit to get a good finished product? Are you certain that there aren't ways of producing a BETTER product for less money? If such techniques or approaches exist, I ask you: What are they?

If you do not know, and I do not know, then don't you think we ought to find out? And do you think people will voluntarily try to discover radical techniques and recipes on their own for no reason? Or do you think such techniques and recipes are more likely to come about from a friendly challenge/competition?

That's what I'm getting at.... It's just an opportunity to experiment in ways that most people wouldn't be inclined to otherwise do on their own.

I am an AG'er and I agree with Bird's last post. I brew because I love the taste of beer and because I can make the kind I like cheaper than the $8 plus I would have to pay for what I like to drink. And I buy my grain in bulk, my hops by the pound and get my yeast from a local brewery who will also on occasion give me everything I need.

Brewiz said:
I got on this tread a little late and I love the idea but, why would I want to make a beer that even comes close to something I refuse to drink (i.e BMC)?? Why not make something that is comparable to Sam Adams, Sierra or great regional micro's that we all love to enjoy. I don't feel like I have to justify my homebrew in cost or any other reason to the majors but more to the regional/micro's.
The point is to make the best drinkable beer you can, at the lowest price you can without sacrificing taste. No cloning BMC. You're free to 'clone' whatever brew you want, the point is to make it as cheap as you can.

I got in a bad car wreck yesterday evening so the rules may be a little slower in coming than I anticipated. Typing is a real *****. But the rules will be coming soon.

Sorry for the delay

Toot said:
I got in a bad car wreck yesterday evening so the rules may be a little slower in coming than I anticipated. Typing is a real *****. But the rules will be coming soon.

Sorry for the delay

Man that sucks!!!
Are you ok? Was any of your family with you and are they ok?

I was alone in the car. I was doing the 75th percentile speed (about 73mph) at the time. Dan Ryan Expressway, around 63rd street. In other words, I would've had to been doing about an extra 6 to 10 miles an hour if I wanted to even think about getting into the left lane. Yes, I was speeding, but welcome to Chicago. My speed was commensurate with traffic and conditions, including the speed of the cars around me.

I got cut off by a car on the freeway, swerved to avoid it, and lost traction. The car oversteered to the left, I countersteered to correct it. I over corrected and it went to the right. Countersteered again, went left. Countersteered again, went right. With each oscillation I was getting it more under control. The cars behind me all had slammed on their brakes and I had 4 lanes to work with. I was quite certain I could get the car straightened out... except...

There was a woman 30 yards ahead of me and one lane over. She decided to slam on her brakes to watch me fishtail. She slowed down enough that I caught up to her while sideways and wound up broadsiding her at about 50mph. Yup. She actually slowed down enough so that I caught her while I was sideways.

And the insurance says: My fault. both cars are coming out of my insurance since I failed to actually have any contact with the car that cut me off and I was the one that was out of control. :mad:

I have what feels like a sprained finger and I threw up this morning. I've also been tired, but then I was up very late because of all this so that could explain the tiredness and it was all pretty intense.

So sorry to hear about your wreck! I hope you get to feeling better.

Did you get any sort of medical attention? I might be a little concerned about a concussion if you hit your head and have had nausea/vomiting, if you need to go see a doctor make sure you don't wait till things get worse! Either way, get to feeling better, and a pox on rubberneckers, especially when they make the accident worse!

I've called the onine brewshops and asked for a sponsorshop and will hear something tomorrow, I presume. The whole emergency room thing kinda put a crimp in most of my plans. But the rules are coming along. I will announce them along with the sponsor, and the prizes, and the beer judges tomorrow.

And, by the way, I'd like another beer judge if possible, so please PM me if you'd be interested. As it is developing, the contest is evolving to more promote cheap GOOD beers so I really don't believe the judges will have to sit through mouthfuls of swill. It should all be pretty good.

And thanks for the concern, Matt. I did see a doc today, got some Xrays. All is fine. No broken bones, just some impressive bruises and I've got a friend (an orthotech) who is going to look over the Xrays tomorrow for a second opinion. I really think the nausea was just due to a little over excitement. I've felt fine since.

Thanks for everything, folks.

No word on the sponsorships. I started a new job and the 90+ minute commute each way, plus an intense learning regimen has been kicking my butt. Additionally, since I'm in a cast and my typing sucks, I've been DREADING the task of going through the rules and finalizing them. Then there's my dyiong grandfather that took up quite a bit of time this weekend, but that's how life goes, eh?

Anyway, I apologize for the delays, but I am posting this to say that I'm scaling back things a little, easing up the rules, and will just try to get something finished up in the next hour or so. Sorry for all the delays.

Cheers!

Back